Savory Biscuits & Gravy Breakfast Casserole made with crumbly sausage and homemade gravy, topped with flaky buttery biscuits – a hearty and filling breakfast that’s easy to make and SO tasty!
Biscuits and gravy! It’s what’s for breakfast.
For years I skirted around biscuits and gravy situations, it just didn’t sound very good to me for some reason, so I’d pass it up for a bowl of fresh fruit or a lemon poppyseed muffin. But eventually I came around and stole a few bites off of my husband’s plate.
Why did I resist the goodness of biscuits and gravy all these years??
Savory and comforting and hearty…. SO GOOD.
This casserole is a fun and easy peasy take on that biscuits and gravy classic you love so much. Two layers of flaky, buttery golden biscuits absorb the creamy sausage gravy – it’s heaven! And if you’re serving this up for a crowd, feel free to double the batch and put it in a larger casserole dish or baking pan!
Biscuits & Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- ½ pound breakfast pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt - (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper - (or to taste)
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 tube refrigerated large flaky biscuits
- Grease a medium casserole dish (I used a 10-inch round casserole dish). Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut biscuits into quarters. Layer half of the biscuit quarters in the bottom of your greased casserole dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While biscuits are baking, prepare the sausage and gravy. In a large skillet brown the sausage over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Sprinkle with flour and stir for 3-5 minutes until sausage absorbs the flour. Add milk, salt and pepper, and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Taste, add salt or pepper as needed to taste. (Add a bit of milk to thin the gravy if it's too thick at this point - it should be runny and not too thick)
- Pour sausage gravy over baked biscuits. Top with remaining raw biscuit quarters and bake for 20-25 minutes longer until top layer of biscuits are golden and flaky. Serve immediately.
*Recipe source: Lemon Sugar