Honey & Roasted Poblano Corn Muffins – Sweet and savory cornbread muffins with a hint of heat from oven roasted poblano peppers!
I’ve always been crazy about spicy foods. As in, I love them so much I might be crazy. But I’ve recently started to enjoy spicy foods with a hint of sweetness. Or the other way around. Sweet with a hint of spicy. Which is pretty much exactly what these muffins deliver.
In case you haven’t worked with poblanos before, let me just tell you do not be scared they are not hot. As a rule of thumb, the smaller the pepper the hotter the pepper. But poblanos are big. They are a very mild pepper. Maybe a step above a bell pepper. So these muffins will not be burning off any sensitive taste buds. Plus, the honey balances out everything anyway and all you’re getting is a whole lot of sweet and southern goodness in your mouth.
Besides the fact that these Honey & Roasted Poblano Corn Muffins are absolutely yummy x 10, they are also incredibly easy. I mean, you don’t even have to use a bowl. You can mix these up in the blender! How fun is that?? Okay, maybe I think it’s extra fun because I just got a new blender so I’m practically mixing everything imaginable in it for the moment. But really, no beaters, no bowls, just a blender and a muffin tin. So they are super easy and super delicious. I think that about covers it.
Honey & Roasted Poblano Corn Muffins
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt - (I used 0% fat, may sub sour cream)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil - (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup frozen yellow corn - thawed
- 1 large poblano pepper
- Preheat oven to broil. Place whole poblano pepper on the rack on a sheet of tin foil. Cook 3-4 minutes until skin starts to blister. Turn poblano over and cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side. Rinse the poblano under cold water for about 30 seconds, then pat dry. Carefully remove any large pieces of the skin that are separating from the pepper. Slice lengthwise, remove the stem and seeds, and finely dice the poblano.
- Switch oven to bake and preheat to 350. Spray muffin tins generously with cooking spray. Add sugar, egg, honey, and greek yogurt to your blender and pulse until smooth. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oil and pulse 5-10 seconds. Add corn meal, flour, corn and pulse until smooth. Gently stir in peppers.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake 12-16 minutes until tops begin to brown slightly and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. Drizzle with honey and serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!