Nothing tops a crepe like this fruity, sweet Blueberry Crepe Filling! Creamy, cheesy, berry goodness all folded up in a sweet, thin pancake-like crepe? Breakfasts will never be the same again!
You all remember my crepes post? Well, I couldn’t very well send you off to make crepes without a couple of fantastic fillings for crepes to get you started, could I?
These blueberry crepes are one of our go-to favorites. Using store-bought blueberry preserves, cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla, you’ll be able to whip this delicious filling together in no time.
And, the best part is, if you don’t love blueberries, you can pretty much use any fruit preserves you have on hand. I’ve got all sorts of ideas on this one — more on that below.
I think once you master crepe-making (which doesn’t take long at all), you’ll find yourself not only wanting to make them all the time, but also coming up with all sorts of filling combos. So, think of this one as just the first one to get you started — from there, get creative!
There are very few ingredients needed to make this sour cream and cream cheese crepe filling.
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Blueberry preserves
- Vanilla extract
Here’s How You Make it
Are you ready for the easiest breakfast crepe filling recipe ever? Here goes!
- In a large bowl whip the cream cheese for two minutes.
- Take out another bowl (glass or metal) and whip the heavy cream for 3-4 minutes until you get stiff peaks to form.
- Now, mix together the heavy cream into the cream cheese bowl. Stir in powdered sugar, the blueberry preserves, and vanilla. Stir till it’s smooth.
- Serve on crepes for a great breakfast or dessert treat!
Ways to Customize a Sweet Crepe Filling
This blueberry crepe filing is so easy to customize! Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Instead of blueberry preserves, try adding strawberry, peach, blackberry, raspberry, or marmalade.
- Use apple butter or a hazelnut chocolate spread like Nutella.
- Add a half a cup of fresh blueberries to the filling for added texture and blueberry flavor.
- Add store-bought lemon curd to the cream cheese filling.
- Mix flavors: Think blueberry preserves with diced fresh strawberries, or other berries mixed in.
Sometimes I like to get really fancy and add toppings to the crepes as well as fillings.
- Add more filling, a spoonful of fresh blueberries, and some powdered sugar to the top of your filled crepes.
- Try homemade whipped cream (or buy the stuff in a can), and pile it on high topped with blueberry syrup.
- A handful of chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, pistachios, or pecans would be wonderful if you love a little nuttiness on your crepes.
- Little bits of brie or another creamy cheese might sound weird but adds soooo much flavor and goes great with the blueberry preserves.
- Instead of whipped cream, try mascarpone or whipped ricotta.
Is it Better to Whip Cream in a Metal or Glass Bowl
I always use a cold glass or metal bowl to whip my heavy cream. Just put it in the fridge for an hour or so before whipping. Also make sure the cream is also very cold (right out of the fridge is fine).
Why? Well, the colder the cream and the bowl, the faster the cream will whip up! It’s as simple as that.
Substitutes for Heavy Cream
If you don’t have heavy cream, try these substitutes:
- Milk and butter. It won’t whip, but it’ll taste good! Use ¼ cup of melted butter mixed with ¾ cup of milk to make one cup of heavy cream.
- Milk and cornstarch. Just like making a slurry for a cream sauce, you can use this method to replace heavy cream. Combine 1 cup of milk with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. The texture will be a little off and it won’t whip as well but still tastes great!
- Half-and-half and butter. To make a substitute for 1 cup of heavy cream, try ⅞ a cup of half-and-half and ⅛ cup of melted butter. This will whip!
- Milk and Greek Yogurt. Finally, another substitute I use when I don’t have heavy cream is the combo of milk and Greek yogurt. Simply combine the same amount of Greek yogurt and whole milk and use this when a recipe calls for heavy whipping cream. This won’t whip, but it’ll be thick and creamy and go well with the rest of the filling for crepes.
Did you make this Blueberry Crepe Filling Recipe? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
Blueberry Crepe Filling
- 1 cup heavy cream - chilled
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup blueberry preserves
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whip cream cheese for 2 minutes.
- In a second bowl (preferably glass or metal, see note), whip heavy cream for 3-4 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Stir heavy cream into cream cheese.
- Stir in powdered sugar, blueberry preserves, and vanilla until smooth.
- Serve on crepes for a delicious breakfast or dessert. Grab my favorite easy crepes recipe right here!