One-pan Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Mushrooms is a simply fantastic skillet meal that requires only 30 minutes of your time and packs a huge punch of tasty flavors like garlic, butter, and Italian seasonings over savory mushrooms and tender chicken.
If you think you don’t like mushrooms, think again, because this savory, pan-seared chicken in a creamy-licious garlic and parmesan mushroom sauce is about to change the way you feel about mushrooms forever! And if you’re already a fan of mushrooms and are searching for a way to elevate your mushroom-lovin’ dinner game, this recipe has your name all over it.
You can use either chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, or bone-in and skin-on) or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, it’s totally your call.
As far as mushrooms go, I highly recommend fresh mushrooms rather than canned mushrooms. Why? Well, as much as I support taking shortcuts wherever possible, canned mushrooms are not my cup of tea in this recipe. That being said, if you do try it with canned mushrooms and you just love it – more power to you!! Because like I said, shortcuts really are fair game around here, and be sure to send me a message or leave a comment cause I wanna hear about it!
The sauce can be made with regular ol’ milk (I recommend regular or fat-free half-and-half if you’re going this route) or heavy cream. Heavy cream will absolutely give you a creamier, richer, and more flavorful sauce so if you’re in the mood for real comfort food, go all-in with the HC.
- Chicken thighs, OR boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Thinly sliced mushrooms
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Half-and-half OR heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley or thyme
How to Prepare This Recipe
Mushroom lover or not, it’s easy to make this one-pan meal!
- In a large bowl combine the chicken thighs or breasts, plus the oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and give it a toss.
- Then, take out a large, oven-proof skillet and set it on a burner over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides for 2-4 minutes. Once that’s done, transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to the same pan and stir until melted, then stir in the garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until the butter begins to darken and the mushrooms start to tenderize.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan over the mushrooms and garlic and stir to combine. Then, whisk in chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Finally, stir in parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the plated chicken to the pan and spoon a little of the sauce right on top of it. Cover the whole skillet and pop it in the oven to bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the skillet from the oven, spoon more sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley or thyme and serve immediately.
How to Serve This Dish
- Serve it straight-up or over a bed of rice or noodles for easily one of the tastiest meals you’ll ever make!
- Serve this dish right over mashed potatoes or with grilled potatoes on the side.
- Add a side of roasted asparagus or Brussels sprouts to round out the dish and give it some green.
- Add a basket of homemade or store bought rolls to the table — they’ll come in handy to sop up all of that yummy, creamy sauce!
- A small tossed salad always works well with this creamy mushroom dish.
- A great, low-carb option that would go great with this is some cauliflower rice.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Add spinach or kale to this dish right at the end before you add the chicken back in and pop it in the oven.
- Make this creamy chicken dish a bit spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- Use a variety of mushrooms to change up the flavor and texture a bit.
- Make the sauce and use a shredded rotisserie chicken if you’re pressed for time (just put it in when the sauce is done).
- Add diced carrots and/or celery to the mushroom/garlic mixture and saute in the butter for more veggies in your dish.
Try These Recipes Next
- Mushroom Cream Sauce for Chicken
- Instant Pot Parmesan Chicken with Rice and Mushrooms
- Garlic Chicken and Asparagus Penne
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Did you try this recipe for creamy mushrooms and chicken? EXCELLENT! Please rate the recipe below!
Creamy Chicken & Mushrooms Recipe
- 4-6 large chicken thighs - OR 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅔ cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half - or heavy cream
- ⅔ cup grated parmesan cheese - plus additional for topping
- fresh parsley or thyme, for topping
- In a large bowl combine chicken, oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and toss.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken on both sides for 2-4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to pan and stir until melted. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until butter begins to darken and mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan and stir to combine. Whisk in chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Stir in parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon more sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley or thyme and serve immediately.
My family and I absolutely loved it! It was easy to make, and very flavorful. I served it along side roasted potatoes and fresh cut veggies. I didn’t have the chicken broth, but a chicken bouillon cube and 1 cup of boiling water was an easy replacement.
Awesome job, Ashley! Thank you for your great feedback!
Would most definitely make this again. I couldn’t tell when you posted this but during pandemic it was a great comfort dinner. Served with leftover diced potatoes with the lovely gravy and roasted asparagus. Added more mushrooms and next time would double mushrooms since they really made the dish. Thank you!
The mushrooms are my favorite part! 🙂
My Hubby made this for me on Mother’s day for dinner. It was absolutely delicious. we served with rice and a zucchini and tomato lasagna type dish. I said i wanted chicken, he chose the recipe. We will make this again!
Sounds like an awesome Mother’s Day dinner if you ask me!!!
Amazing! The saUCe brings out The nature umami from mushrooms and kale is a great match with this dish!
This was delicious! I made it with regular milk and I didn’t feel like I missed anything by not having the half and half or heavy cream. I served it over rice. I will definitely make this again.
So happy to hear using regular milk worked so well for you, Cindy! Thanks for sharing your great feedback.