Fluffy Pumpkin Cream Cheese Streusel Muffins stuffed with sweet cream cheese filling and topped with buttery cinnamon streusel!
Well, I tried.
I really tried to hold out as long as possible before I posted a pumpkin recipe but, as you can see… I’ve caved.
In my defense, I did take a little poll on Instagram and the consensus was that pumpkin recipes are mucho desired at this time. You voted, I listened. So say hello to the first of many decadent pumpkin recipes comin’ your way this season.
First up, muffins. When I look back at my childhood, my fondest pumpkin memory is of my mother’s pumpkin muffins. She actually would make regular-sized muffins, and then a whole batch of mini muffins. Like muffin bites – they were the BEST. Except for the fact that I probably would eat 32 of them in about 8 seconds without a second thought. Speaking of those… I should get that recipe from her – it’s the best straight-up pumpkin muffin recipe everrr. And by “straight-up” I mean nothing added – nothing on the top, nothing in the middle, no chocolate chips even. Just straight-up super duper moist pumpkin goodness.
Sometimes you need a straight-up pumpkin muffin.
In the meantime though, let’s focus on these fancy pants pumpkin muffins. Ones with cinnamon streusel on top and a rich cream cheese filling in the middle. These are amazing at room temperature, they really are, but if you want to take things to the next level pop one of these cuties in the microwave for a few seconds and the top will get all butterylicious and the center will be gooey warm and wonderful.
Sometimes you need a fancy pants pumpkin muffin.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Streusel Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees* and grease a muffin tin. Prepare the cream cheese filling by mixing together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Prepare the streusel by whisking together flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Mash in butter with a fork or your fingers (or a pastry cutter if you have one!). Set aside.
- Prepare the muffin batter. Whisk together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl mix pumpkin puree, brown sugar, milk, butter, and eggs. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Drop a dollop of the cream cheese filling in the center of each muffin tin. Cover with more muffin batter til the tin is 2/3 full. Sprinkle streusel on top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean besides a few crumbs. Allow to cool.