Swirled caramel, pumpkin, and chocolate brownie layers make these easy, gooey caramel pumpkin brownies the ultimate fall treat!
And just like that, Summer is over. Okay not real live actual calendar Summer because I know that Autumn Equinox is a thing and technically until then we are still in summertime, BUT. In my mind summer starts with June one and ends when September arrives. This year I spotted the leaves changing earlier than ever so I’m calling this the unofficial, transitional end of Summer.
There’s no better way to say adios to Summertime and hello to all things Autumn than by starting your pumpkin bake-a-thon and getting the smell of Fall-ish things wafting through your house. I came across a half-burned caramel pecan candle a few days back and I’ve been lighting it every day since. It’s getting me in the mood for all of the things September brings and I’ve been baking pre-sweater-season treats all week long.
These chewy, rich brownies are bound to be your new favorite dessert bar with their ooey gooey caramel and pumpkin swirl. Just plan to give most of them away right from the start, before you even try one yourself, because I am not gonna lie…. these babies are a diet wrecker. Consider yourself warned!
Gooey Caramel Pumpkin Brownies
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs - divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar - divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt - divided
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree - (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¾ cup heavy cream - divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ⅔ cup caramels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil. Grease foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- First prepare the brownie batter. Combine chocolate chips and butter in a large sauce pan and stir over medium heat until completely melted and combined. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and whisk in 3 eggs, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir til combined. Reserve and set aside 1 cup of the batter. Spread remaining batter in the bottom of your prepared baking pan.
- In another bowl whisk together pumpkin, remaining 3 eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream, remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Pour mixture over brownie batter in pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine caramels and remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream. Cook on high for 2 minutes, stir, and return to microwave for 20 seconds at a time (stirring after each) until caramel is melted and smooth. Drizzle caramel over pumpkin batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of reserved brownie batter over caramel and pumpkin layers. Use a butter knife to swirl layers (creating a figure-8 a few times usually does the trick).
- Bake for 45-50minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (a few crumbs are okay but no wet batter). Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes.