Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken – easy, slow cooked juicy chicken smothered in a sweet and spicy Asian garlic sauce that’ll have you licking your fingers!
I have been craving all things sweet and spicy ever since we got home from our graduation/babymoon cruise.
Okay… I guess I always crave sweet and spicy food so…. this is kind of no different than every other day of my life.
Correction: I’ve been craving all things sweet and spicy even more than usual ever since the cruise.
We had so many amazing meals on our trip, several of which I intend to recreate and share here on the blog very very soon. I got my Indian food fix every single day at a restaurant on board the ship called Tandoor. Naan and mint chutney were a daily thing.
But I was craving Asian-Chinese-ish food when I got home and as you know, we don’t do takeout very often, I prefer to whip it up at home. After making this homemade honey garlic chicken…. ah, I just don’t know how any restaurant version will ever suffice now.
This sauce is so to-die-for yummy. Sweet from the honey, with a lot of garlic, and a hint of heat. If you don’t care for spicy food, leave out the sriracha (or crushed re pepper flakes). I swear it doesn’t make this dish a “spicy” one, but if you’re truly heat-averse, just leave it out for peace of mind and I promise the sauce will still have you licking your fingers.
Just look at it! So thick and sweet and sticky…..
This recipe only has 6 ingredients but the flavor is so amazing, you’d think it called for 60. Just 15 minutes of prep and a few hours in your trusty slow cooker will deliver thee best honey garlic chicken of your live!
- 3-4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce (found in the Asian section of most grocery stores)
- 2½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha sauce (found in the Asian section of most grocery stores) OR crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cold water + 1 tablespoon corn starch
- optional: chopped green onions, cilantro, crushed red pepper flakes - for garnish
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl whisk together honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, and sriracha sauce (or crushed red pepper flakes). Pour sauce into the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a large bowl, then shred with two forks. Cover bowl with foil or a towel to keep heat in. Transfer sauce from the slow cooker to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Stir together cold water and corn starch in a small bowl until dissolved, then add to sauce pan and stir until thickened. Remove pan from heat and pour sauce over chicken.
- Serve with cooked rice if desired and top with sesame seeds, green onions, and/or cilantro.