Sweet and spicy Chinese honey sriracha chicken – better tasting and healthier than take out!
We’re baaaaack! (Not said in the creepy horror film way.) The hubbs and I are not so much wrapped-gift-people. We realized that early on in the relationship – and thankfully it was mutual – but don’t you worry, we still do a little somethin’ around meaningful holidays.
Christmas, anniversaries, birthdays, Thursdays…..
“Holiday” is a very liquid concept.
Last year for Christmas we gave each other a remodel. Woah, that came out wrong. We didn’t remodel each other. We remodeled our house, or at least a part of it. We did a three-day reno on our front room, entryway, hallway and part of the kitchen. It was a big fat bring in the family reinforcements project but it made a huuuge difference in our house and it was exactly what we wanted for Christmas.
This year….we gave each other a vacation. Not from each other! A vacation from life. Back in August we found a steal of a deal on a Bahamas cruise and we had some sky miles to use up so we booked the trip and that was that. We just got back yesterday and it was painful to leave behind our pina colada sipping, dolphin kissing, river kayaking, sea-salty romantic getaway behind and come back to snowy, frozen weather. Painful.
We did eat a lot (A LOT) of good food on the trip but one thing I missed terribly was spicy food. I have to have my spicy food cravings satisfied just about daily. Which is why I already have put about 17 spicy dishes on the menu for the next week or two.
I made this honey sriracha chicken before we left on our trip and I have honestly been dreaming about it ever since. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and a whole lotta better-than-takeout homemade Asian-style yum. Healthier than takeout too so it gets an A+ all around here. And, my favorite part, you can customize the flavor a bit to meet your personal preference. If you love it spicy (like moi) then go heavy on the sriracha and/or add crushed red pepper flakes on top. If you tend to favor the sweet side of things, don’t hold back on the honey. Bada-bing-bada-boom. Honey sriracha chicken just how you like it.
- 3-4 chicken breasts, diced
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons sriracha (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes, cooked rice for serving
- In a small-medium sauce pan, combine the 1 cup of water, sriracha, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and honey and stir. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Whisk together the 2 tablespoons corn starch and remaining 2 tablespoons of water until dissolved. Add to sauce pan and stir until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Add diced chicken and ⅓ cup corn starch to a large plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat chicken. Drizzle a large pan or skillet with oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until browned and chicken is cooked through. Add the sauce and stir to coat. Sprinkle with crushed pepper flakes if desired and serve over warm rice.
You’ll love this too!392