Pineapple Chicken – Juicy chicken served with peppers in a sweet and tangy pineapple sauce! Ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
Remember how I told you that the Chinese restaurant I worked at through high school served some amazing Chinese dishes and some amazing not-so-Chinese-dishes? Well, this dish is reminiscent of one of those not-so-Chinese ones. I don’t know how Chinese-y pineapple chicken is, as in I don’t know if they really eat Pineapple Chicken in China, because for some reason it reminds me more of an Pacific island dish. Regardless of it’s ethnic nature, it’s incredible.
I remember the first time I saw chicken served in a pineapple at the restaurant. I honestly thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen in my life. And it is! I’m sure it’s been happening for years and years and yearrrrrs, but I think it’s genius.
This Pineapple Chicken is sweet and salty and tangy and SO good! I love the pineapple flavor paired with peppers, and the chicken makes it a complete dish! I will make this chicken again and again, it’s amazing! If you have a fresh pineapple on hand, scoop it out and serve the dish right from the pineapple, it’ll take this delightful experience to a whole new level of wonderful. But if you don’t have a pineapple, still make this dish and enjoy every sweet and savory bite, you will love it!
If you like this Pineapple Chicken, you’ll love my Fiery Jalapeño Chicken Melts with Spicy Mayo, Moroccan Chicken Salad Pitas, Chicken Avocado Salad, Easy Chicken Fried Rice, and Orange Teriyaki Chicken.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - chopped into strips or chunks
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers - (I used a combination of red, yellow, and green)
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple - (or pineapple chunks), undrained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- optional: rice, sesame seeds, sliced green onions, fresh chopped pineapple
- Preheat a large pan or skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Season chopped chicken with salt and pepper. When pan is hot add chicken and cook 5-10 minutes turning pieces over throughout to cook evenly. When chicken is cooked, place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together crushed pineapple (with liquid), soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, garlic salt, onion salt, and chili powder. Add liquid to pan with chopped peppers, cover and simmer 5-8 minutes until peppers are slightly tender.
- Whisk together cold water and corn starch until dissolved, then add to cooking sauce. Stir a and allow to thicken a bit. Stir in cooked chicken and cook 1-2 minutes longer until chicken is heated. Serve hot with sliced green onions and sesame seeds over rice if desired.
Love pineapple chicken and yours looks fantastic and so tasty! Pineapple fried rice is a favorite of ours too and we always thought it was so cool that the local Thai and Malaysian restaurants served it in a scooped out pineapple too 🙂