Tender, juicy Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken cooked in fresh pineapple and roasted tomato salsa will have you devouring every last bite.
Last week we had my in laws over for Sunday dinner and I made an oldie but goodie from this blog, roasted red pepper ravioli. It’s easily one of my favorite recipes ever ever and I have served it when we’ve had company several times because it pleases everyone, especially me because it’s so darn easy. But. We are not here to discuss ravioli are we? No.
I bring up that little story because I sent my husband to the store for fruit. Just “whatever fruit looks good” to go with our pasta and salad and cheesy asiago bread (<—mmmmmm!) and he brought back pineapple. It’s amazing what a few months without good fresh fruit will do to you because one bite of that juicy fresh pineapple and I had spring fever BAD.
It’s sort of barely a little bit kind of starting to warm up around here. A teensy bit. We’re seeing fifties this week but I’m wearing flip flops anyway. I don’t care if my toes are slightly bluish, I can’t live in scarves and boots another minute. I stuffed all of my sweaters away the other day and my husband literally suggested I rethink it because there was snow in the forecast, but I didn’t care – those puppies were going away. And you guys, I loooooooove my sweaters. I could live in sweaters. But like I said.
s p r i n g f e v e r.
So pineapple made a comeback this week in what is probably the simplest, most amazing dish to grace my table in… days. Ha! I only say that because I made this deliciousness just a few days ago and it was also incredible simple and downright crazy-tasty. But seriously. This pineapple salsa chicken. It’s got all that sweetness from the tangy-sweet pineapple, plus a little savoriness and a touch of heat… basically it’s spring fever heaven and it’s made right in your slow cooker so you can set it, forget it, and come back a few hours later to dreamy pineapple chicken perfection.
Oh and I made another video for you! Woot woot! Check it out below…
Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken (+ video)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness (no more than 1 inch)
- 3 cups chopped pineapple (I recommend fresh but canned would work too)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (not drained)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- Combine pineapple, onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, salt, and chili powder in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease your slow cooker. Place chicken in a single layer (the best you can, it's okay if they overlap a little) in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour salsa mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours or on high 2-3 hours. Serve chicken and salsa over rice if desired. (see note for alternate serving option)