This is it – the most perfect fish tacos sauce! Creamy, spicy, tangy, and smooth, and it goes great over any kind of fish (or shrimp) tacos you’re craving!
You all know how much I LOVE sauces and condiments. I mean, more than the average person (maybe too much more, if that’s possible.) There is no exception to my sauce loving when it comes to fish tacos, either. A flavorfully seasoned fish taco deserves and equally flavorful sauce on top and this one delivers! A little spicy, creamy (thanks Greek yogurt!), and tangy, it’s the perfect topping for all your fish and seafood tacos and beyond!
Why This Recipe Works
Easy – 5 minutes! FIVE! It doesn’t get shorter or easier than that!
Tasty – You wouldn’t believe how just a few simple ingredients can taste so GOOD together! You’ll want to put this easy fish tacos sauce on any and all fish, shrimp, and other meats too. It’s not just limited to fish. This quick sauce goes great on everything!
Healthy – By using half Greek yogurt and half mayo, I have cut out some of the unhealthy fats and added more protein. You could also use all Greek yogurt for that matter and no mayo at all if you want it even healthier!
Simple ingredients – The fanciest ingredient in this sauce for fish tacos is adobo sauce and you can get that in a can of chipotles in the Mexican/ethnic food aisles in probably just about any grocery store. Easy!
Here’s How You Make It
I don’t even think I need to write out directions for this simple quick fish taco sauce, but here goes. Are you ready?
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Taste the fish sauce and then add a little extra lime juice if you like for flavor and consistency, then serve with your favorite fish tacos. Enjoy!
What Goes Good with Fish Tacos?
In addition to this fish tacos sauce recipe (of course), there are many, many ingredients I like to serve alongside fish tacos. In no particular order:
- Shredded lettuce, cabbage, or slaw
- Mango salsa
- Diced red onion (or pickled)
- Jalapenos (fresh or jarred)
- Crema or queso fresco
- Chipotle sauce/hot sauce
- Red pepper flakes
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Black beans
What Goes with Tacos Other Than Rice?
Looking for a side to serve with fish tacos that isn’t rice? I have you covered!
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad is a great side for fish tacos. The recipe says to add chicken, but skip it if you want, it’ll be just as tasty!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Chimichurri Butter is the most perfect side for any meal, but especially fish tacos!
- Instead of rice, try making lentils, quinoa, or beans as a side.
- For more corn sides, try this Corn Salsa or Cornbread.
- Serve chips on the side of this Mexican Volcano Dip for the perfect nosh.
- Stuff poblano peppers with beans and the other ingredients in this recipe for Southwest Stuffed Poblano Peppers.
- Mayo really gives this sauce for fish tacos its rich creaminess and my favorite is the mayo made with olive oil. Light mayo works great too though, and you can substitute some of the mayo for more Greek yogurt to make this sauce a bit healthier – but my favorite version is as written with 1/2 cup each mayo and Greek yogurt and just keep in mind that you are only using about a tablespoon on each taco!
- For thinner fish sauce you can drizzle, add more lime juice or a tablespoon of water or milk to the sauce.
- You can find Chipotle adobo sauce at the grocery store, it’s just the sauce that’s in a can of chipotle peppers. However, I’ve recently seen that some stores are carrying a new variety that has only the adobo sauce in it rather than peppers and sauce!
- This fish tacos sauce recipe makes about one cup of sauce (which actually goes pretty far!). This recipe can easily be halved or doubled as desired and keeps well in the fridge in an airtight container up to a week.
- To make this fish tacos sauce recipe even spicier, add a dash or two of your favorite hot sauce then mix all the ingredients together.
More Scrumptious Sauce Recipes
Did you make this easy and delicious 5-Minute Fish Tacos Sauce? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
5-Minute Fish Tacos Sauce
- ½ cup mayo - see note
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients.
- Taste, add a little extra lime juice if desired for flavor and consistency, and serve with your favorite fish tacos. Enjoy!