This Chinese-style chicken fried rice has perfect flavor and is sooo easy to prepare! It’s better than take out!
When I was little, my family would go out to eat at Chinese restaurants and all I wanted to order was a bowl of white rice.
Seriously. A bowl of white rice and some soy sauce. Mmm, nutritious right? I LOVED white rice. Still do. But when I worked in a Chinese restaurant all through high school, I branched out and fell in love with brown rice and fried rices.
Although ham fried rice is probably the most common, I prefer shrimp fried rice, chicken fried rice, and veggie fried rice. Oh oh and house fried rice. House fried rice has veggies, plus shrimp AND chicken. So basically it’s the best of all worlds. I like my rice a little spicy so I usually put some hot chili oil on it, but that’s just a personal preference and I didn’t include that in the recipe here. This Chicken Fried Rice recipe is so easy! There’s no reason to head out to a restaurant for great fried rice anymore, you can whip up the perfect side dish for your take-out-fake-out meal in just a few minutes at home!
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 16 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste. Spray a large wok or pan/skillet with cooking spray and preheat to medium heat. Add chicken and let cook on one side about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, cover and cook 4-5 minutes, flip the chicken, and cook the second side 4-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Drain the pan and transfer the chicken to a bowl. Shred with two forks and set aside.
- Add onions, peas and carrots to the pan along with sesame oil. Saute 2-3 minutes until onions are tender and clear. Push the veggies to the side a bit and add eggs to the empty part of the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes until fried. Stir into the veggies. Add soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Add cooked rice and chicken and cook another 3-4 minutes, stirring throughout until rice is browned.