Big, bold Mexican spices bring out the perfectly flavored broth of this hearty Quinoa Chicken Tortilla Soup!
So soup season is coming to an end here. Is anyone else as sad about this as I am?? I’m really, very very sad about it.
I mean, I eat soup all year round so it’s not like I’m bidding all soup farewell for the next 5 months… but for various reasons I generally don’t share new soup recipes during the summer months. So in that sense, this is my goodbye to soup.
We’re ending on a
great awesome soup note though. Raise your hand if you like chicken tortilla soup.
You and you and you… are my best friends. The rest of you…
Stop snoozing through my post. 😉
Look at it though! Mexican flavors are among my very favorites so whenever I can get them in a soup, I’m 1000% on board. And today we are adding quinoa – the new ever-popular superfood. I love quinoa. And I’ve even got my husband on board.
We’re quinoa people now I guess.
Quinoa Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn - drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder - (depending on how spicy you want it)
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste - (as needed)
- toppings: 1 avocado, thinly sliced, 1/4 cup cilantro leaves tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
- Add chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken, broth, quinoa, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice to a large stock pot. (See note) Cover and cook on medium-high for 20-30 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken breasts to a bowl. Shred with two forks, then return shredded chicken to soup. Add salt to taste, then cover and cook another 10 minutes or so.
- Immediately before serving, stir in toppings OR serve toppings on the side so everyone can customize their own soup!