Easy, healthy, set it and forget it Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with the best flavor to warm you up on a chilly fall evening!
Hello heavenly bowl of chicken tortilla soup goodness, I would just like to tell you that I would love to gobble you up every day of my life from now until forever. Kthanksbye.
I’ve had chicken tortilla soup from several restaurants and tasted quite a few homemade versions in my life but this is definitely, hands down my favorite. There is a small amount of enchilada sauce in this soup and I feel like that is what really takes the flavor over the top.
And I should mention that it is easily one of the easiest soups – easiest meals even – that I have ever made. A straight up set it and forget it, dump recipe. Just dump it all in, shred the chicken just before serving, and top with all of your favorite goodies like tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, or whatever else your heart fancies.
I really can’t tell you how glad I am that I have leftovers.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chiles (like Rotel original)
- 1 10-ounce can mild enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- toppings: tortilla strips, shredded Mexican cheese, chopped cilantro, limes (for squeezing),
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add broth, beans, corn, Rotel (diced tomatoes and chiles), enchilada sauce, and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- Uncover, use two forks to shred chicken (careful not to over-shred, you still want some chunks of chicken) and stir. Serve with desired toppings.