Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe! Moist, tender chicken cooks up in a creamy sauce with carrots, onion, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and more. Add rich, buttery dumplings (with a secret ingredient!) and you’ll be smitten with this dish for life!
Love Instant Pot chicken recipes as much as I do? Try these fan-favorite dishes: Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Rice, and Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala.
Just looking at these photos as I write this pretty much has solidified what we are having for dinner again this weekend. I mean, look at those dumplings! Look at that beautiful chicken and broth and the carrots — don’t they just jump out at you and beg to be eaten?
The photos don’t even do this dish enough justice. So easy. So yummy. So filling. So warming. It’s like a hug in a bowl, and I think everyone needs a big hug right now, no matter which way you have to go about getting it. Also, no Instant Pot? No problem, I’ll tell you how to get the same results with a slow cooker, as well as other ways to customize this dish.
Serve alongside a simple salad or with some fresh-baked (or store-bought, no judgement here) rolls. Because, carbs rule and yes, I do sometimes I do dip my rolls right into the dumplings. I mean…sometimes you just gotta do what’s right by the meal, you know?
Here’s How you Make it
Get out my favorite kitchen appliance — the Instant Pot — and let’s get cooking!
- To make this Southern chicken and dumplings, first thing you want to do is set the pot for “Saute” then, drizzle the bottom with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken breasts and brown them for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Take them out, put them on a plate and continue on to the next step.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot, then stir in the diced carrots, onions, and minced garlic, stirring occasionally for 1 minute until the mixture is nice and fragrant. Then, sprinkle in the flour, stir for 2 more minutes until any foamy and/or white streaks are completely gone. Gradually add in the chicken broth, stirring constantly until completely incorporated.
3. Return chicken to the pot and add salt and pepper. Cover, lock the lid into place, and turn the vent to the “sealed” position. Change the setting to “pressure cook” or “manual” and time for 5 minutes.
4. While the Instant Pot comes up to temperature, start making the dumplings. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cheese in a large bowl and stir till combined. Then, gradually stir in the heavy cream until you are left with a soft dough.
5. When the Instant Pot is done cooking the chicken and broth, do a quick release and take the chicken back out and shred into larger pieces. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot and stir in the additional heavy cream.
6. Next, roll 2-3 tablespoons of the dumpling dough loosely in your hands and drop each piece gently into the pot until you’ve used up all the dough. Give all the dumplings their own space (don’t pile them up).
7. Put the lid back on, seal, and set the timer for another 5 minutes. When that’s done, do another quick release and take the lid off when the pressure is done dropping.
8. Ta da! Add some cracked black pepper and fresh parsley if you like, and serve!
Slow Cooker Directions
No Instant Pot? No worries. You can also make chicken and dumplings in a slow cooker. Simply complete steps 1-3 in a skillet on your stove. Then, when you get to step 4, add the ingredients to your slow cooker on low for about 4-6 hours.
When you make the dumplings, make them on the stovetop, dropping the dough into a pot of salted boiling water. Remove them when they float to the top and add them to the slow cooker. Give your slow cooker another 20-30 minutes or so for the dumplings to soak up the chicken both flavor and serve as desired.
Expert Tips and Customizations
There are a couple ways I like to change up this homemade chicken and dumplings recipe now and then.
- You can use heavy cream or half-and-half, but heavy cream will result in a richer, creamier flavor and thicker consistency, which I prefer. But use what you have.
- For a more chicken soup-y feel, add 2 stalks of chopped celery into the recipe with the carrots and onions.
- You can also add a 1/2 cup frozen peas, stirring into the pot when you add the heavy cream.
- Change up the cheese included in the dumplings to whatever you have on hand, or leave it out all together.
More Popular Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Spanish Sausage and Rice
- Instant Pot Pork Chops and Gravy
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
Did you make this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 large, boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 1 white or yellow onion - diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian blend seasoning - OR Herbs de Provence
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream - or half n half, see note
for the dumplings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese - optional (but highly recommended)
- 4 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- Set pressure cooker to SAUTE. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Brown chicken breasts on 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the pot. Stir in carrots, onions, and garlic for 1 minute til fragrant.
- Sprinkle in flour, stir 2 minutes til foamy and white streaks are completely gone. Gradually add chicken broth, italian seasonings, stirring constantly until completely incorporated.
- Return chicken to the pot and add salt and pepper. Cover, lock lid into place, and turn vent to SEALED position.
- Set to PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL for 5 minutes. (It will take several minutes for the pot to come to pressure and begin counting down from five minutes, meanwhile prepare the dumplings)
- Prepare the dumplings by combining flour, baking powder, salt, and cheese in a large bowl and stir til combined. Gradually stir in the heavy cream and butter until a soft dough forms.
- When pressure cooking time is complete, quick release (immediately turn the vent valve to VENT and remove the lid once the float valve drops). Remove chicken and shred into chunks with two forks (don't shred too finely) and return to pot. Stir in heavy cream.
- Roll 2-3 tablespoons of the dumpling dough loosely in your hands and drop into the pot. Repeat with remaining dough, being sure to drop each dumpling into its own space and not on top of another dumpling.
- Cover and lock lid, turn valve to SEALED and set to PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL for 5 minutes (again). Once time is complete, quick release again and remove the lid when the float valve drops.
- Garnish with cracked black pepper and fresh parsley if desired and serve.
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (add into the recipe with the carrots and onions)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (stir into the pot with the heavy cream)
I’ve made a lot of chicken and dumpling recipes, and I can honestly say this is the best one yet. So delicious and simple.
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!
Great recipe! I changed it a bit using precooked chicken sautéed with the veggies adding celery and mushrooms. This enabled me to skip the first 5 minutes of cook time. I made the dumplings exactly as the recipe directed. Will certainly make this again.