Juicy grilled Mushroom Swiss Burgers topped with rich, melty swiss cheese and sautéed garlic and herb mushrooms!
I generally only eat mushrooms when my husband is out of town. I like mushrooms. Once in a while when they’re prepared especially well I might even say that I love mushrooms. But my husband loathes mushrooms so if I’m going to make something with mushrooms, I either make sure they’re big enough that he can easily pick them out of the dish, or I just wait til he goes on a business trip so I can enjoy them picky-eater-free.
Last night I had a girl’s night out with 4 of my sisters, my niece, and my mom. We saw The Little Mermaid at Hale Center Theater – an awesome theater here in Utah – and ate at Applebees for dinner. Have you been to Applebees? I haven’t been there in what feels like forever but they’ve completely revamped their menu and ho-lee-cow there are so many delicious sounding dishes now I think I may need to go to Applebees every day for the next month just to get a taste of them all.
Annnnnnyway. Back to the mushrooms. So last night we ate at Applebees and I had this chicken and mushroom dish that was SO crazy good. Like, a copycat will be happening here on CDLC soon, I’m already craving something fierce.
But the mushrooms! Okay the mushrooms were probably the best part of the dish and it got me thinking about these burgers I made a couple of weeks ago while my husband was out of town. Like I said, the mushrooms usually happen when he’s not around, to spare him from picking them out, so I had these cheesy swiss mushroom burgers all to myself.
A-OKay with me!
I think that if he had been around to try a bite though, he would have been seriously impressed with the goodness of this burger, mushrooms and all. The mushrooms are sautéed with butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning so they have LOTS of yummy flavor and then you pile them right on top of rich, melty swiss cheese…. it’s probably the greatest thing ever. If you’re a mushroom lover, or even mild liker, then you need these burgers. If you’re a mushroom avoider…. you should still give these burgers a try – you might just be surprised at how crazy delicious they are!!
Mushroom Swiss Burgers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning OR 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4-8 slices swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- optional: toppings of choice such as tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, or ranch dressing
- In a medium bowl combine ground beef, salt and pepper, steak seasoning (or alternate seasonings) and mix together well so that all seasonings are incorporated. Divide mixture into 4 equal parts and shape each into a patty. (see note)
- In a small-medium pan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and Italian seasoning and saute until mushrooms are very tender and garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat, cover the pan with foil to keep the heat in, and set aside.
- Grill burger patties over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until desired doneness is reached. Top patties with 1 or 2 slices of swiss cheese each, and allow to sit on the grill (lid closed) for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melty.
- Assemble burgers by arranging any desired toppings on the bottom half of each bun, then following up with the cheesy burger patty, and topping with the mushrooms and top half of the bun. Serve immediately.