Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup made in the crock pot! Easy, healthy and crazy delicious!
It is freezing. Not the soup. The weather. And me. It has officially begun – the 5 month portion of the year where my toes have a semi-permanent purple hue. On Christmas day we got hoards of snow. It was honest to goodness the white Christmas from every hollywood film. It was strangely warmish for a couple of weeks beforehand, in the 60’s which never happens around here in December, and then BOOM – huge snow storm on Christmas Day.
It. was. awesome.
Except that I’m over it now. I only like snow and the accompanying cold weather for the week between Christmas day and New Years, then (in my nonexistent perfect world) it all disappears for 328 days.
Unfortunately the weather doesn’t like to cooperate with my brilliant ideas.
And the wind storm! Earlier this week, after the massive Christmas snow storm headed out, some crazy wind came through. It was blowing so hard that the house was shaking, we couldn’t sleep through it. It was SO LOUD. It was also c.o.l.d. – Chicago cold. That wind chill…. gahhh. Yep, I’m a wimp.
So enough about cold. Let’s talk about warm soup. Warm, creamy, rich, cheesy… all the good things soup should be. Oh and healthy. Stop! You’re giving me that look – the same one my husband gave me when I told him this soup was healthy. Too creamy he said. Too creamy and rich and cheesy to be healthy. Not true! It’s healthy.
I made this soup in the morning but we snacked on it all day long. A bite here, a mini-bowl there, just can’t help ourselves when there’s a piping hot pot of creamy enchilada soup on the counter. No self control in this house! But really. Just get a whiff of that chicken enchilada soup and you’ll be dipping a spoon into that crockpot before dinnertime, guarantee it.
What people are saying about this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
“Hit the jackpot with this soup tonight. The search for the BEST is over:) This soup “is money.” My husband and I agree this is now our favorite. Great flavor and so easy to make. I did add onions, garlic and green chiles. Don’t care for black beans so I used pinto. Used a can of diced tomatoes in place of tomato sauce. Didn’t have any masa so cut up 5 corn tortillas to thicken it. No salt was least in the ingredients, can see why, definitely don’t need it. You want a great soup, you don’t need to look any further:)” – Patty
“My family LOVED this soup! I just recently found your website and have now tried three of your recipes…all have been awesome and family favorites. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your recipes. The ingredients are easy and most are already in my pantry. I have tried numerous recipes from the internet that have turned out awful, causing me great frustration. All of your recipes are amazing and I look to your site daily for new things to try! I finally enjoy cooking again!! Thank you!!” – Mona
“This soup was delicious! My husband has had a big Mexican craving lately. I made this soup for him and I think it put him in a Mexican coma! I couldn’t keep him out of it. No such thing as one serving with this recipe! I did add fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of the additional can of tomato sauce. It was to die for. Thank you so much for sharing!” – Yummo
“I was wanting to make an enchilada soup with rich flavor and that had a thick consistency. This was what I had been looking for!! I will add more black beans next time and possibly one more chicken breast. I topped with cheddar jack cheese, sour cream, avocado, sliced limes, and I served this over cilantro rice. HEAVEN IN A BOWL!!! And you just cant stop eating it. Thanks so much for sharing!!!” – Mill
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion salt - (or sub onion powder and salt)
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn - drained and rinsed
- 1 30-ounce enchilada sauce - see note
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons masa harina - OR flour
- optional toppings: tomatoes, shredded cheese, tortilla chip strips, avocados, cilantro
- Add chicken, 3 cups broth, cumin, garlic powder, onion salt, cream cheese, black beans, corn, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low 7-8 hours.
- About 10-15 minutes before serving, shred the chicken with 2 forks and stir soup until cream cheese is combined with soup. Whisk remaining 1/3 cup chicken broth (or water) and flour (or masa harina). Add to slow cooker and stir until thickened. Serve warm with additional toppings as desired.