Slow Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Soup with incredibly creamy, rich, and healthy broth!!
First of all… it’s the weekend.
Weekend, I am so glad to see you. Please stay a while.
Second, this has been the single most incredibly weird winter I ever remember. Normally we have some really big snow storms trailing a few feet of snow behind them, each piling up the last before the first can melt. So we basically have a whole lot of white coldness from October to March.
Not this year. We’ve had maybe…. 1 decent snow storm and that was on Christmas day. It’s long since melted and we’ve had dead green grass and deceptively sunshiney days – much cooler than they look but not nearly as frigid as Utah winters usually bring. Even though it’s been a weird winter, I’m still in the mood for soup.
But then, I eat soup all year round so….
That being said, there is a decent chance this could be the last soup of the season on this here blog. I know, I almost shed a tear. But if that’s the case we are going out with a BANG with this slow cooker butternut squash soup.
A little sweet, a little spicy, and topped with a quick and tasty Thai gremolata. Aka: peanuts + cilantro + lime zest + red chili flakes. Aka: thebestpartofthissoup.
Just look at it! All creamy and yellow and delicious-like. So bright and cheerful looking it’s almost like a winter-summer soup hybrid.
What people are saying about this Slow Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Soup
“My hubster and I love your soup recipe! We make it at least once a week in a 1/2 batch in a smaller crock pot which gives us two meals. We wanted a flavorful soup using squash and your recipe is awesome, thanks for posting this on your blog.” – Everley
“I’ve made this twice because it’s very tasty. The gremolata really turns up and adds to this flavorful soup. This is a restaurant quality soup.” – Augie
“Just made this (exactly as the directions stated) and it was delicious! Perfect for winter: spicy, warm, and creamy. Love how easy it was to make and it was great to use the crockpot other than for making chili! I’ve given a few mason jars of it to friends, and they are also raving about it. Thank you for sharing!” – Amy
“I don’t often comment, but this soup is soo good and I have shared it so many times that I felt that I should! This is my all time favourite soup so far…. amazing flavour and so easy!! Everyone I make it for, LOVES it and asks for the recipe!!” – Jane
Slow Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons sriracha sauce (or to taste)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-2 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Add butternut squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, onion powder, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, and curry powder to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
- Blend mixture until smooth using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor. (You may need to do this in batches depending on your available equipment) Return mixture to slow cooker. Add salt to taste and milk to thin to desired consistency.
- Just before serving, prepare the gremolata. In a small bowl stir together cilantro, peanuts, lime zest, and red chili pepper flakes. Serve soup warm and top with gremolata.
recipe adapted from better homes and gardens magazine