Tasty baked chicken nuggets with a crispy quinoa coating – so easy and healthy!
Quinoa is all the rage. How do you feel about it? I tend to gravitate away from “trendy” things but I’m on board with this one. I love it because it’s so versatile. I’ve used it in salads, in place of rice with Asian-style dishes, in 30-minute skillets and now as a chicken nugget coating.
These chicken nuggets are really good, they’re a bit unconventional so I wasn’t sure how my husband would feel but he actually loved them as much as I did. They’re baked after being coated with cooked quinoa instead of breadcrumbs which gives them a healthy protein-packed makeover. They’re so yummy I’m not sure I ever want to have the traditional breadcrumb chicken nuggets again!
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs + 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk flour, salt, and pepper. In a second bowl whisk eggs and water. Place quinoa in a third bowl.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture, then eggs, and lastly in the quinoa being sure to coat well. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray chicken nuggets generously with cooking spray (this helps the nuggets to get crispy but can be skipped if you prefer) and bake for 15-20 minutes until nuggets are cooked through and browned. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces such as bbq sauce, ketchup, sweet and sour sauce, etc.