Rich and creamy shrimp and bacon corn chowder with fresh veggies and flavors so bold and tasty you’ll want to eat this soup all year round!
Well, it’s definitely Fall around here! I’m still a little blown away by the difference in weather from two weeks ago til now. Blazing hot to rainy and cold within a couple of days. I’m hoping it’s just a cold spell and we’ll have slightly warmer temps to look forward to throughout October because heaven knows I’m not ready to skip ahead to a snowy Winter.
For now I’m staying cozy in my favorite sweater with a steaming hot bowl of this shrimp and bacon corn chowder and not one bit mad about it. First soup of the season and let me tell you, it is a WINNER.
We are seafood fans around here, if you didn’t already notice. Bring on the salmon, the lobster, and of course all the shrimp. Bonus points for combining more than one of those in the same dish (I’m looking at you Salmon New Orleans!)
I’ve always liked corn chowder but this is hands down my favorite variation I’ve tried yet.
This soup is incredibly easy to make in just 30 minutes with simple ingredients, but the flavor is absolutely outstanding. Even picky eaters will beg for seconds!But what do you expect when you combine shrimp, BACON, and creamy corn chowder??
Speaking of picky eaters, my twin two-year olds never touch soup and my boy ate this chowder. My little gal still turned up her nose but we’re working on her and I know she’ll come around soon. No one can resist this soup for long!
What people are saying about this Shrimp and Bacon Corn Chowder
“I made this tonight for my family and it was absolutely DELICIOUS! My wife said it was the best meal she’s had in awhile.” – Courtney
“I made this about 2 weeks ago. My family and I were ready to fight for the leftovers the next day.”
“Great dish and it really did take only 30 minutes. It was loved by everyone and great as a leftover (freezes well). Thanks for this recipe.” – Carol
“I prepared this dish tonight for my dinner party, it was a hit! My guests took what was left home. Thank you!” – Sylva
Shrimp and Bacon Corn Chowder
- 4 slices bacon - chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound large shrimp - de-veined and tails removed
- 1 15-ounce can corn - drained
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 2 ribs celery - chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes - (optional)
- 1 pound baby red potatoes - quartered, (pieces should be no bigger than 1 inch max)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream - or half and half, (see note)
- Add bacon to a large pot and cook over medium-high heat for 4-8 minutes until crisp. Transfer to a towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Add garlic and shrimp to pot and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until garlic is fragrant and begins to brown and shrimp turns opaque.
- Add corn, carrots, celery, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, potatoes, and chicken/vegetable broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then pour in heavy cream. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in bacon and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or thyme and cracked black pepper, and serve.
Have you used a non dairy option? Like oat milk or coconut milk?
I have not. If you try and do this substitution, however, oat milk or coconut milk won’t be thick enough on their own. For example if you want to use oat milk, you need to also use cornstarch, vegan butter or olive oil.
Loved the shrimp and bacon corn chowder. Delicious and plan on making it again. It makes a generous 4 servings. Had some left and tried freezing it for future warm up but that was not a good option. So needs to be eaten up right away or within a day or two.