Baked Cheesy Chicken Taquitos – Ultra cheesy chicken taquitos, baked-not-fried, and topped with guacamole and pico de gallo!
This is a little off-topic but… do you like sushi? Please say yes. Please say you are as irreversibly addicted to sushi as I am. In my experience there are three kinds of sushi people in this world. Sushi Lovers: can’t get enough, crave it regularly, know all the good sushi spots, and definitely know what you’re talking about when you say you love Spider Rolls. Then there are Sushi Haters: tried it, hated it, never going back. Well, props for at least trying it I guess. And then of course there are the Sushi Avoiders: raw fish, no way, not touching it with a ten-foot pole. Such sad people they must be.
I had sushi last night and… I happen to be a Sushi Addict. I know, I didn’t mention that kind, I decided to add it just now. I’ve been eating sushi since I was a kid and although it took me a minute to get up the courage to dive in, once I did I fell madly in love. It would like to hire a personal sushi-chef to live in my basement and make me fresh sushi any time of day or night I wish. If you know anyone with the skill-set for this job position, please send them my way.
As you can see, I do not have the sushi-making know-how, so I’ve shared with you something else I love. Maybe not as much as I love sushi but, still. Taquitos rock.
Ahhhhh, cheesy cheesy chicken, wrapped in a tortilla, baked til crispy and then smothered in homemade quac, fresh pico, and garnished with a little squeeze of lime. So so good. As you know, I don’t deep-fry in my house. Just a personal preference. And I am telling you, you do not need to be a deep-fry-er to have cheesy spicy crispy taquitos at home. Promise! Just give these Cheesy Chicken Taquitos a good dose of cooking spray, pop them in a really hot oven, and let the magic happen. Easy. Cheesy. Yummy. Make these!!
Baked Cheesy Chicken Taquitos
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - pounded to ½ inch thickness
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas*
- 1 cup shredded mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- pico de gallo or salsa - or salsa
- optional: sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil and spray heavily with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder and cumin. Rub seasoning into both sides of chicken breasts. Spray a large pan or skillet with cooking spray and cook chicken over medium heat about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Shred chicken with two forks. Divide chicken evenly among all tortillas, spreading the chicken into a strip down the middle of each tortilla. Top chicken with about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Tightly roll each tortilla into a taquito. (If using corn tortillas, see notes!) Place end side down on prepared baking sheet. Spray taquitos heavily with cooking spray. Bake 10-15 minutes until tortilla edges begin to brown/blacken and cheese is melty. Serve with guacamole and pico or salsa, and any other topping you desire.