These BEST ever banana chocolate chip cookies are chewy and flavorful with no flour or eggs plus ingredient swaps to make them healthier!
I am SO excited to share these cookies with you. I went through a bunch of recipes to finally get to this one and it is perfection. I’m picky about my cookies, and my husband is even picker, especially if we are talking about a healthy cookie. So a recipe that fits both of our requirements is pretty rare and hard to come by but this one takes the cake for the BEST healthy banana chocolate chip cookies ever.
A cookie that tastes this good will fool anyone who doesn’t know it’s “healthier”. But let’s get the nitty gritty out of the way, these cookies are not sugar free. They are not fat free. But as far as cookies go, these are on the healthy side. They are flourless (no refined flour) and are instead made with oat flour.
Don’t worry you don’t have to buy a special flour for this, all you have to do is throw some old fashioned rolled oats into your food processor or blender and pulse until they become finely ground and reach a powdered consistency. That’s it. Just be sure to measure your oat flour after you grind the oats, not before.
You can use coconut oil or butter in this recipe, I’ve tried both with great results. You do need at least a 1/3 cup, so don’t skip it all together trying to take all of the fat out of your cookies. They need it for consistency and flavor.
Dark brown sugar helps to boost the flavor of the cookies BUT light brown sugar works perfectly fine as well. As far as the chocolate chips go, you can use up the amount to a full cup if you really want to (for regular sized chocolate chips) but obviously they are healthier if you keep it on the lesser side. Just depends on how healthy you really want your cookies to be.
Dark chocolate has antioxidants and is said to be better for you so keep that in mind when deciding but know that I love these with semi sweet or dark. Both are great!
What people are saying about these BEST Ever Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
“I’ve made these twice now and they are so good! I will definitely be making these over and over again.” – Emily
“I just finished a double batch of these! They are AMAZING! I added a little coconut extract and shredded coconut. They are wonderful and I am now looking for more ripe bananas so I can make more.” – Ashley
“I’ve made these three times now and I LOVE them. I tried both with butter and with coconut oil and they’re both fantastic. I tried to make it a little “healthier” and replaced the brown sugar with Splenda’s brand of brown sugar. I received so many compliments from the recipe and plan to make them again tonight!”
Make these True Love Cookies (aka: Brookies) next!
BEST Ever Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups oat flour - (see note)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- 2 medium bananas - very ripe, mashed
- ½ cup dark brown sugar - (you can also use light brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini or ⅔ cup regular size dark chocolate chips - (or semi sweet chocolate chips)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together coconut oil (or butter), bananas, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined and there are no streaks of four in the dough. Cover tightly and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and very lightly grease a baking sheet. Scoop cookie dough and place mounds (about 2 tablespoon each) at least 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes until golden brown on top. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet (they will be slightly underdone when you take them out of the oven, they will finish cooking on the baking sheet). Store in airtight container up to 5 days.
Prep time does not include 30 minutes of chilling time.
Recipe makes about 26 cookies.