From the moist cake to the fluffy frosting, these cupcakes scream HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The perfect birthday cake flavor – without the extra work that goes into a traditional cake!
Time for a birthday par-tay.Creme de la Crumb is officially one year old today! That is crazzzzzzy. And we are celebrating. With, well, birthday cake. Duh. Except they’re birthday cake cupcakes. Cause I’ve been in a cupcake mood lately. And I sort of feel less psychotic if I eat seven cupcakes instead of seven pieces of cake, ya know?
That sounded less embarrassing in my head.
And if we are being totally honest here, I like these cupcakes wayyyyyy better than any cake I’ve had at any birthday celebration. In my experience birthday cake tends to be dried out and the frosting is too rich. But these cupcakes solve both of those problems. And they start out with a cake mix! (No shame here, I’ll take a shortcut.) Don’t follow the recipe on the back of the box though, this recipe is much much better than that.
So. Without further ado, here’s to a pretty awesome first year of blogging, a whole lot of life changes, and to learning to boil water.
Here, have a cupcake. Mmmmmmmm.
Birthday Cake Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- optional: sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 and fill muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift cake mix into a medium bowl. In a larger bowl combine, greek yogurt (or sour cream), oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs and whisk until smooth. Add cake mix and mix until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake 13-18 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- After cupcakes have cooled completely, cream the butter for two minutes in a large bowl. Add vanilla and heavy cream and mix until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time until desired consistency is reached (**if piping the frosting, double the frosting recipe and look for a slightly stiffer consistency) Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Store in airtight container at room temperature.