In 30 minutes you can whip up this easy one-pan and flavor-packed creamy pesto parmesan chicken with a sauce that will have you wanting seconds.
Say hello to your new best friend, a seven-ish ingredient skillet dish that will be a regular on your menu from this day forward.
Yes I said seven-ish.easy 5-minute recipe) then go ahead and throw a little on top right at the end. (Makes it pretty and amps up that basil flavor we all love so much. ) You can also add a little salt and pepper to the sauce if you feel like it needs it – totally up to you.
You’ll see in the recipe that I said you can use chicken breasts or thighs – either are fine, use your preferred cut! If you are using breasts, be sure to pound them to even thickness first so they cook evenly. If you are using bone-in thighs you made need a couple extra minutes of cooking time.
Be sure to save yourself a little extra parmesan for topping your chicken right at the end! Because who doesn’t love a little extra cheese, am I right??
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness OR 4-6 chicken thighs
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup basil pesto (click HERE for my favorite easy 5-minute basil pesto!)
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil, for topping (optional)
- Grease a large skillet and cook chicken over medium heat 5-8 minutes on each side until browned on the outside and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add garlic and mushrooms to pan and saute over medium heat til garlic fragrant and mushrooms are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add pesto to pan and saute1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir to combine with pesto. Add cream and continue to stir over medium heat until sauce is smooth. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted and combined with sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed, to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and toss in the sauce to coat. Sprinkle additional parmesan cheese over the chicken and garnish with fresh basil and serve.