In 30 minutes you can whip up this easy one-pan and flavor-packed creamy pesto parmesan chicken with a sauce that will have you wanting seconds.
Say hello to your new best friend, a seven-ish ingredient skillet dish that will be a regular on your menu from this day forward.
Yes I said seven-ish.
Must-haves include the chicken (obvi), garlic, pesto, milk, and parmesan. The seven-ISH part is coming from a few other ingredients. If you really can’t stand mushrooms – I get it, my husband is a mushroom hater – you can definitely leave them out. If you like mushrooms or are on the fence, you’ll love them in this dish so don’t skip em! Also if you have fresh basil on hand, or have a little extra from making it yourself (with my easy 5-minute Best Easy Pesto Sauce Recipe) then go ahead and throw a little on top right at the end. (Makes it pretty and amps up that basil flavor we all love so much. ) You can also add a little salt and pepper to the sauce if you feel like it needs it – totally up to you.
You’ll see in the recipe that I said you can use chicken breasts or thighs – either are fine, use your preferred cut! If you are using breasts, be sure to pound them to even thickness first so they cook evenly. If you are using bone-in thighs you made need a couple extra minutes of cooking time.
Be sure to save yourself a little extra parmesan for topping your chicken right at the end! Because who doesn’t love a little extra cheese, am I right??
What people are saying about this Creamy Pesto Parmesan Chicken
“Wonderful! Fast, easy peasy. I doubled the mushrooms. Added the broth first to deglaze the pan (had great fond I couldn’t waste!), then the pesto and cream. Served it all over brown basmati rice. My husband LOVED this. Thanks for making me look good, Tiffany.” – Joyce
“This was wonderful! We served this over some spaghetti and my kids loved it!” – Jamila
If you like this recipe, you’re going to love my One Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta!
Creamy Pesto Parmesan Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - pounded to even thickness OR 4-6 chicken thighs
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup basil pesto - (click HERE for my favorite [url:1]easy 5-minute basil pesto[/url]!)
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese - plus more for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil - for topping (optional)
- Grease a large skillet and cook chicken over medium heat 5-8 minutes on each side until browned on the outside and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add garlic and mushrooms to pan and saute over medium heat til garlic fragrant and mushrooms are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add pesto to pan and saute 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir to combine with pesto. Add cream and continue to stir over medium heat until sauce is smooth. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted and combined with sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed, to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and toss in the sauce to coat. Sprinkle additional parmesan cheese over the chicken and garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Can I make this recipe with beef.. and what cut to use, I want to serve this to a beef lover.. the recipe turned out so excellent that it was ginger licking
I mean finger licking 😊
My 7 year old loved it and she doesn’t like much! That should say it all.
Made this tonight. Looking g for something to use my pesto I made yesterday. Absolutely delish. My husband lived it also. Will put in my rotation.
Made this tonight. Looking for something to use my pesto I
made yesterday. Absolutely delish. My husband loved it also. Will put in my rotation.
This is a family go to. I either serve the chicken with roasted potatoes and roasted veggies or double the sauce and pour it over pasta. Either way it’s so delicious.