Jamaican Jerk Chicken Soup – A sweet and spicy soup with rice, beans, veggies, and perfectly seasoned flavorful chicken!!!
The weather is having a fit today. I’m a bit concerned that my recently hung Christmas lights are going to be ripped from the rooftop. The wind is blowing like mad and it’s started to snow. Except it’s snowing sideways. This type of weather calls for one thing, soup. And hot chocolate with little marshmallows and hazelnut creamer. But as far as dinner is concerned, it’s soup.
This Jamaican Jerk Chicken Soup is delicious! It has some of that sweetness that you look forward to in a Jamaican-jerk-style dish. Couple that sweetness with a bit of heat from the seasonings and jalapeños and you’ve got yourself an incredibly tasty soup! This was easy to put together, especially because I diced the veggies beforehand and steamed the sweet potato in the microwave (shhh!). This soup is the perfect way to switch up your normal stormy-weather-dinner routine, fix it up for dinner this week, you’re going to love it!!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground parsley
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons seeded jalapeño
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup cooked brown or white rice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a small bowl combine all of the seasoning ingredients for the chicken and mix to combine. Rub seasoning onto both sides of chicken breasts (if you have extra seasoning, reserve and add to soup broth. Preheat a nonstick pan or skillet to medium heat, spray with cooking spray, and cook chicken breasts 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
- Add water and chicken bouillon to a medium-large pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to simmer. Add tomatoes, red peppers, green chiles, jalapeños, onion, sweet potato, beans, and rice. Cook 5 minutes. Add paprika, salt, and chili powder. Cook 10 minutes longer. 5 minutes before serving, whisk corn starch and 2 tablespoons cold water together in a small bowl until corn starch is dissolved. Add mixture to soup and stir to combine. Allow to thicken 5 minutes. Enjoy!