A zesty lime and island-spiced marinade gives this easy grilled jamaican jerk chicken tons of bold flavor and a juicy, tender center.
I have two words for you—> FLAVOR. BOMB.
The process is so simple. Throw a bunch of spices and peppers into a blender, pulse til smooth, throw it in a bag with some chicken and let it hang out in the fridge for a few hours… then grill it up. done, done, and done. So if you break it down it’s two parts. Part one) marinade, part two) chicken. And it’s that marinade that turns the chicken in a flavor bomb.
Seriously, SO. MUCH. FLAVOR.
It’s spicy with a little bit of sweetness and grilling gives the outside a nice crispness while the inside stays nice and juicy-tender. If you’ve never tried Jamaican jerk anything before, your mind is about to be blown. And don’t shy away from the ginger in this recipe! I generally don’t love ginger but in this recipe, it absolutely works – it’s not overpowering but ads a lot of umph to the dish and helps give it that signature Jamaican jerk flavor.
What people are saying about this Grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken
“Holy crap! I made this tonight and it was SO GOOD. It was a big spicy for me (which almost never happens), so I may try using three habanero next time. Thank you SO MUCH!” – Meredith
“Made this tonight and everyone was fighting over the last piece. Thank you for helping me be a dinner super star!” – Amber
“I just made this for dinner. The only modification was exchanging 2 jalapenos for the 4 habaneros. THE FLAVOR WAS AMAZING. Thank you for this recipe.” – Christopher
Grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 5 tablespoons oil
- juice of 4 limes (about 5-6 tablespoons)
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- 4 habanero chile's (stems and seeds removed), roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine oil, lime juice, and next 9 ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until well blended. Reserve 1/4 cup of the mixture in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Transfer remaining mixture into a large resealable bag. Add chicken, seal bag, and chill for 3-8 hours.
- Grease and preheat grill. Remove chicken from bag, discard the bag and remaining marinade. Grill chicken 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Brush reserved sauce over the chicken and grill 2-3 minutes longer on each side until cooked through (large chicken breasts may need some additional grilling time) Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired and serve immediately.