Cilantro lime chicken and rice cooked in one pot just 30 minutes, topped with creamy avocado sauce.
It’s been too long. Way too long since a one pot meal has appeared on this here blog. So here it is. One pot cilantro lime chicken and rice. In 30 minutes. You’re welcome.
Basically it’s amazing.
One of my most favorite and most popular dishes here on Creme de la Crumb is this —> one pot lemon herb chicken and rice, but when my husband slash official taste tester tried it for the first time I should have known he’d ask where the sauce was. We are sauce people – ranch with everything and the standard three packets of ketchup that come with every to-go order of fries is just NOT enough, why can’t you takeout people get that through your heads??
So when I made this cilantro lime chicken and rice I was prepared. I whipped up a super yummy 10 second cilantro + lime + avocado sauce to go over that chicken and rice and I am sooooooo glad that I did.
So is my husband slash official taste tester.
This whole one pot dish is what busy weeknight dreams are made of. So little effort, so much goodness to be had. One pot to clean up, plus it’s a main and a side all in one and you just can’t beat that because seriously, am I the only one who struggles with coming up with side dishes for your weekly menu? I tend to get excited about the main entree and totally space it on the side dishes so I have to throw something together at the last minute, and I will be perfectly honest… chips and salsa probably becomes a side dish to wayyyy too many of our dinners.
But if you haven’t tried it alongside fettuccine alfredo you’re missing out p.s.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2¼ cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- juice of 3 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup milk
- handful of cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add butter to a large skillet (one that has a lid) and melt over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add chicken and cook 1-2 minutes on each side just until lightly browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add rice and garlic to pan and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add chicken broth, lime juice, and cilantro. Place chicken on top of the rice. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 25 minutes or until rice is fully cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- While chicken and rice are cooking, make the sauce. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Add more lime juice or a little more milk if needed til pourable.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken and rice. Sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired and serve.
If you liked this you’ll love…65