A single dish is all you need to fix this flavorful one pot enchilada orzo and make it an instant family favorite.
This is my comfort food. This one pot, Mexi-flare, 30 minute yumminess. For some people it’s bread, for some it’s mashed potatoes, other’s it’s creamy Italian pasta. For me? Cheesy, saucy, enchilada-inspired goodness I can heap into a bowl, top with all of my favorite fixins, and douse with hot sauce galore.
No but really. Hot sauce G A L O R E.
I would curl up in my sweat pants on the couch with a ginormous bowl of enchilada orzo and watch Grey’s Anatomy re-runs every single night if I wasn’t feeding people besides myself. Because other people seem to get sick of eating the same thing over and over and over. So weird…..
I’m not completely unreasonable, I’d swap out the avocado slices for guacamole on night three if that helps??
Leftovers are my plan B. This recipe makes a pretty sizable batch of enchilada orzo and if you’re feeding only 2-3 people, like I am, you’ll have leftovers for a couple of days which means >LUNCH PLANS< for you.
If you’re feeding a larger group, you likely won’t have leftovers – sorry but it’s just too good, no one will give up their portion for your said lunch plans. But this dish is so darn easy, with hardly any prep and only one pot to clean up, you won’t mind one little bit putting it on the weekly rotation.
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth (sub vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 2 15-ounce cans mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 1 15-ounce can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- optional toppings: avocado, tomatoes, chopped cilantro, olives, sour cream, cottage cheese, salsa
- Combine orzo, broth, enchilada sauce, corn, beans, and seasonings in a large nonstick (or well-greased) pot and sitr to combine. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 20-25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender.
- Uncover, stir, and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover again and allow to cook 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted. Add any desired toppings and serve.