Healthy, sweet, Roasted Red Pepper Soup is an easy 30-minute soup filled with big BOLD flavor!
It’s a soup day!
I seems like our weather here in Northern Utah is all topsy-turvy these days because December, January, and February were abnormally – yet pleasantly – warm and now we are stuck in this dreary cold weather in the beginning of April.
Hey Utah Weather, remember those things called seasons? Yeah they’re pretty cool.
So today is rainy and dreary and even though our house is an icebox because the contractor who is re-tiling our guest-bath shower has been keeping our back door open all day, I’m sort of loving this weather. At least for today.
I’ve been dying for the sun to come out the past couple of weeks – this skin could use some serious vitamin D – but today I’m kind of okay with the rain and the cloudy and the need for a sweater. Because sweater-weather means soup weather. And soup weather means roasted red peppers and basil and parmesan cheese are happening in this house.
You might remember that mind-blowingly yummy roasted red pepper ravioli I posted a few months back – divine. Well I’ve been itching to turn that sauce into a soup ever since. It finally happened and thank heaven because it is good.
Creamy, cheesy, totally loaded with bold roasted red pepper flavor. Everything I’ve been dreaming this soup would be. And it’s the easiest thing to make. Ready in 30 minutes or less and if you don’t feel like roasting your own red peppers (we all have those days) you can use a jar of roasted red peppers, no problem.
If you’re stuck in cold, dreary, rainy weather – make this soup today. If you have perfectly sunny and warm weather…. I don’t care, turn on the A/C and still make the soup.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 5 whole roasted red bell peppers (OR one jar, approximately 15 ounces - drained)*
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk (I used fat free half & half)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Add roasted peppers, tomato sauce, and water to a large soup pot and stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and remove pot from heat. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Transfer mixture back to pot.
- Add milk, onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and cheese to pot and stir to combine. Simmer for 15-20 minutes over medium-low heat until hot, fragrant, and cheese is completely melted. Serve with fresh basil and additional parmesan cheese if desired.