Cheesy quinoa with southwest flavors slow cooked in juicy bell peppers for these Slow Cooker Southwest Quinoa Stuffed Peppers!
I’ve made these stuffed peppers twice this week. SO good! Have I mentioned that I have a salsa addiction? I do. When I was in junior high and high school, I was a huge fan of the after-school-snack movement and chips and salsa was my go-to. And by “go-to” I mean that 9 out of 10 days I would down half a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa.
Hi my name is Tiffany and I’m a salsa addict.
Except I’d get kicked out of SA. I’d come in and be like, yeah I ate three jars of salsa this week and it was AWESOME.
SA is for committed people. And not the kind that are committed to salsa.
And now you’re thinking, okay… where is she going with this? Cause all I see are quinoa stuffed peppers…. no salsa…..oh wait maybe the salsa goes on top…
The salsa is in the quinoa. So instead of cooking the quinoa in water like you might normally do, you just mix it into the salsa, stuff it in the peppers, and let the slow cooker do it’s thing. Cool right???
I get excited about these things. These slow cooker salsa and quinoa things.
A note about the salsa though. Major bonus points if you use a southwest flavored salsa! I’ve even seen ones with corn and black beans in them so you wouldn’t even need to buy either of those! Yayyyyy for shortcuts in the kitchen.
And don’t forget the cheese people.
“There’s too much cheese on top of these slow cooker southwest quinoa stuffed peppers” – said no one, ever.
Slow Cooker Southwest Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 3 large bell peppers
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups salsa (if you have Southwest-flavored salsa, even better!)
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup yellow corn
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- optional toppings: chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced jalapeños
- Cut bell peppers in half, remove and discard stems, membranes, and seeds. Spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place peppers in the slow cooker side by side (squish them a bit if you need to). ***see note***
- In a bowl, stir together uncooked quinoa, salsa, green chiles, black beans, corn, and seasonings. Spoon mixture into the peppers inside the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, uncover slow cooker. Sprinkle cheese on top of stuffed peppers. Cover and allow to cook another 20-30 minutes (the cheese will get melty). Serve warm and top with cilantro, sour cream, and jalapeños as desired.
Do not place peppers in the slow cooker. Add other ingredients (the quinoa, salsa, etc) and mix in the slow cooker. Follow same cooking time. 30 minutes before serving, place cut peppers on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Stuff the peppers with the quinoa mixture, top with cheese, and return to oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melty, then serve.