Double Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – Rich chocolate chip cookies with a perfectly crisp outer edge and a double-chewy center!
The thing about chocolate chip cookies, is that every.body.and.their.dog. has their own idea of “the perfect chocolate chip cookie”. Some like it really soft, some like it chewy, some like it crispy, crunchy, extra-rich, loaded with chocolate chips, light on the chocolate chips, my brother in law actually likes them without the chocolate chips. Ummmm…un-chocoate chip cookies? And my brother brother (meaning, not in-law) lovesssss my mother’s chocolate chip cookies. They are crispy and chewy and paper thin. Honestly? Not my cup of tea. But he goes bonkers for them.
When I was experimenting with these Double Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, I posted a picture on Instagram with two different cookies and asked everybody to vote on whether they preferred extra chewy, or soft and fluffy. (Not following me on Instagram?? You should be! Click HERE!) For a while it was neck and neck, half went for the chewy, half for the fluffy. But in the end, one side pulled forward and it was DOUBLE CHEWY for the win! So. Here is my Double Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie for you.
Don’t worry, if you’re a soft and fluffy person, or a thin and crispy person, or a big fat bakery style person, give it time, those types of chocolate chip cookies will make their way onto this here blog. I won’t ever post a “perfect chocolate chip cookie” recipe, but I will be posting lots and lots of different kinds of chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipes, so you can find the one that is your favorite chocolate chip cookie.
Double Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter - softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray, then wipe it off with a paper towel. (You barely need anything on the pan, the cookies will produce their own anti-stick grease!)
- In a large bowl mix together sugars, butter, eggs, and vanilla. In another bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined (I do this part with a spoon or spatula, instead of a hand mixer etc, to keep the batter from becoming "over mixed")
- Roll the dough into 1.5 inch balls (if the dough is way too sticky you can add a little more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until you can roll it - it will still stick to your hands a little bit but that's okay). Place rolled dough balls on prepared baking sheet 2-3 inches apart and press each ball down slightly with the palm of your hand to flatten it a little bit. Stuff extra chocolate chips in the top of the cookies if you'd like. (I always do this) Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes on the pan. Repeat process with remaining dough. Store in airtight container at room temperature.