This easy and simple Honey Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Skillet is everything you want in a hearty, comforting Fall meal. This tasty one pan meal will be ready in about 30 minutes and you will love the flavors!
If you took Autumn, coated it in honey butter and put in a skillet – this would be IT. This is one of the tastiest meals I’ve ever made and now I’m craving every single day.
Even the kids like this dish! That’s a winner when you’ve got picky little toddlers.
But nobody can resist that sweet and savory honey butter and tender sweet potatoes!
The best part is that this is a one-pan meal and it’s ready in about 30 minutes. In my book that’s a recipe for a perfect weeknight dinner.
To make it, you start by seasoning the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried herbs. Melt some butter in a skillet and stir in honey to make the honey butter sauce.
Brown the chicken in that crazy delicious honey butter and then scoot the chicken off to the sides to make room in the center of the skillet.
Add a little more honey and butter to the middle of the skillet and then toss in your sweet potatoes along with some pecans and dried cranberries.
Move the skillet to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
That’s it! Top it off with some cracked black pepper and fresh thyme and serve. Your family will beg you to make this dish over and over again!
The great news? You won’t mind one bit because it’s such a cinch to whip up.
Honey Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Skillet
- 4 chicken thighs - or chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons butter - divided
- 4 tablespoons honey - divided
- 1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper - or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian blend seasoning - divided, (may sub about ½ teaspoon dried oregano + ¼ teaspoon each dried thyme, dried basil, dried parsley)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and diced into 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pecan halves
- fresh thyme - for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste, plus garlic powder and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons honey. Add chicken to pan and brown on each side for 3-4 minutes. Scoot chicken to the sides of the skillet.
- Add remaining butter and honey to the center of the skillet. Once butter is melted, add sweet potatoes and stir to coat in the honey-butter mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning, then add pecans and cranberries and stir to combine. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer pan to preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with fresh thyme and cracked black pepper and serve.