Creamy and rich homemade peppermint white hot chocolate is easy to make in about 10 minutes!
There was a time when I drank hot chocolate every single day. Sometimes two or three times a day and it was always one of two forms of hot chocolate – 1) instant packet or 2) gas station already made. Now there is a time and a place for instant or pre-made hot chocolate. Like my college glory days when I was taking way too many credits and getting up way too early to be whipping up a batch of anything, much less hot chocolate before my walk to 7am anatomy class. I would also include football games, walking around Salt Lake City’s famous Temple Square to see the lights (if you haven’t put this on your bucket list, you MUST) after night skiing/snowboarding, and a handful of other occasions that are completely appropriate.
But sometimes, like maybe on Christmas morning (hint hint) you might want a special mug of hot chocolate. One that tastes extra rich and silky smooth and might even make your house smell like white chocolate and peppermint Christmas-y things.
As far as I know they don’t sell this in an instant packet, and that’s okay because it only takes about 10 minutes to go from peppermint white hot chocolate craving to peppermint white hot chocolate guzzling with this simple recipe. For an extra festive treat, roll the rim of your glass or mug in honey, then dip into crushed candy canes.
Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups half & half - or light cream
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- crushed candy canes - optional
- Combine milk and cream (or half & half) in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally, until hot throughout. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add white chocolate and stir until completely melted and incorporated. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extract. Serve with a candy cane on the side of the glass or crushed candy canes around the rim.