Homemade extra thick hot chocolate with perfectly creamy, double chocolatey chocolate flavor. Easy to whip up in about 5 minutes!
Say hello to the creamiest, silkiest, chocolatiest hot chocolate you will ever meet. If you don’t like thin, watery hot chocolate, you are in good company because I like it thick. Super thick. Extra thick hot chocolate is my jam and this right here is my secret recipe which I’m not making not-so-secret by sharing it with you because we are friends and friends don’t keep things like the perfect hot chocolate recipe secret.
The key is to use two kinds of milk and two kinds of chocolate. Regular milk, or half and half (fat free half and half is my favorite option, but you can use regular half and half or even regular milk but I don’t recommend anything below 2 percent fat for regular milk. phew. okay moving on….) plus about 1/3 cup of heavy cream gives it richness and a little thickness – a good base for our hot chocolate.
I like to use unsweetened cocoa powder AND chocolate chips when I make this hot chocolate. The chocolate chips make the hot chocolate thicker than if you use only cocoa powder, and I love the creaminess they add. If you prefer really really sweet hot cocoa you can opt for milk chocolate chips, but I can’t handle that much sweetness and I like the flavor semi-sweet a little better when I’m going to be drinking the end result.
This extra thick hot chocolate is completely customizable too. A few of my favorite stir-ins are ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and crushed peppermint and I always like topping it off with whipped cream, marshmallows, and chocolate syrup. Cause you can never have too much chocolate right??
Extra Thick Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk or half and half (I like to use fat free half and half)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional toppings: marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings, caramel sauce, crushed peppermint candies
- optional stir-ins: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Combine milk and sugar in a medium sauce pan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cocoa powder. Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in heavy cream and chocolate chips. Continue to stir slowly until chocolate is completely melted and incorporated. Stir in vanilla.
- Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, or any other favorite toppings and serve.