Southwest Loaded Potato Skins – Crispy oven-baked potato skins loaded with southwest flavors and cheesy goodness. Oh, and there’s bacon of course!
You know it’s good when the husband literally says “mmmmmmmmmmmmm” for five minutes straight. Not that my husband did that….. actually yes he did. He probably would have said “honey these are SO AMAZING!” if he didn’t have his mouth 101% stuffed with these crispy little southwestern beauties. So all I got was “mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm”.
I thought it would never end.
In his defense? These actually really are MMMMMM good. A little bit of drizzled olive oil and a 400 degree oven roasts these potatoes perfectly so they get that nice crispy outer shell you’ve gotta have in a good potato skin. Then you stuff it to the rafters with southwestern goodness. Red and green peppers, fresh white onions, sweet yellow corn, and earthy black beans. Then comes the ooey gooey cheese. That alone would be divine but you can’t have a “loaded” anything without bacon.
I heart you Bacon.
These delicious little bad boys are a cinch to make.
1) Cook potatoes.
2) Stuff potatoes.
3) Cover potatoes with cheesy goodness and bacon.
4) Top with any kind of dressing your little heart desires and devour.
See? A cinch. Perfect for a side dish or appetizer. Or your whole meal, nothin wrong with that. But um… you might wanna double the recipe. They disappear fast.
Southwest Loaded Potato Skins
- 4 small potatoes - (traditional white/Idaho/russet will do)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - (may sub melted butter)
- ½ red pepper - diced
- ½ green pepper - diced
- ½ white onion - diced
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1 cup black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
- 4 strips bacon - cooked and crumbled
- sour cream or ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons cilantro - roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil and spray with cooking spray. You can cook the potatoes EITHER in the oven, drizzled with the olive oil, for about 45-50 minutes OR you can cover the potatoes and microwave on high 6-8 minutes for each potato and then drizzle with olive oil and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes to crisp up the outsides.
- While potatoes are cooking, add peppers and onions to a large nonstick pan or skillet sprayed with cooking spray for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat until veggies start to brown a little bit. Stir in black beans, corn, taco seasoning and salt. Cook another 1-2 minutes stirring throughout.
- Once potatoes are cooked, carefully slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides. (You can either discard the extra potatoes or keep them and use them for another recipe like mashed potatoes or in a soup). Fill each potato skin with 3-4 tablespoons of the veggie filling.
- Top with shredded cheese. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Top with bacon and cilantro and either drizzle with sour cream/ranch dressing, or serve with sauces for dipping.