Soft and moist baked Strawberry Lemonade Donuts that use a cake mix! Dip them in sweet and tangy cream cheese lemon icing for the perfect summer treat!
Happy Sunday!!! Let’s celebrate with DONUTS!
Super moist and cakey strawberry lemonade donuts actually. And speaking of cakey… this is the best part…. they’re made with a cake mix! Cake mix + 3 ingredients and you’ve got perfect, baked strawberry donuts. That’s just genius.
I’ve been wanting a donut pan for the past year, why I haven’t just bought one is beyond me – I really have no excuse – but this week I did it. I got myself a donut pan. And ohhhhh boy watch out because donut overload is coming your direction.
First up: strawberry donuts with lemon cream cheese icing. As soon as I took the first bite they reminded me of a tall glass of fresh strawberry lemonade. These are so bright and summery, I can’t get enough of them. But they’re baked so that makes them okay to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack, right?
Strawberry Lemonade Donuts
- 1 box strawberry cake mix - (I used Betty Crocker super moist)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese - very soft
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a donut baking pan. In a large bowl whisk together cake mix, egg, water, and vegetable oil until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large resealable bag.
- Push the batter into one corner and twist the top of the bag to keep the batter inside. Snip the corner of the bag and squeeze the batter into the baking pan filling each donut cavern 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges barely start to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes until they easily come out of the pan ( if they are sticking, leave them to cool for a few more minutes before trying again).
- Allow donuts to cool completely before glazing them. To prepare the glaze whisk together powdered sugar, cream cheese, and lemon juice until smooth. Dip donuts into the glaze, then allow to cool for a few minutes so the glaze will set. (If your icing is too thick, warm it up in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or so. Repeat throughout as needed until all donuts are dipped)
- Donuts are best fresh but you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.