Creamy cauliflower and sharp cheddar soup you can whip up in less than 30 minutes. This stuff tastes so close to the original Zupas recipe!
Zupas is a long standing tradition in our house. For years we’ve been eating at Zupas before every BYU home football game so as you can see, I’ve had it many many times. In fact, I’ve been eating at Zupas for so long that I actually have to special order my favorite sandwiches because they’ve changed the menu so many times. The California Turkey is still on the menu from years ago but they’ve changed it here and there. They used to grill it panini-style and it came with ranch sauce and sprouts. Like I said it’s changed a lot, so nowadays I have to order the “Cali Old School”.
Not gonna like, I kind of feel like a thug when I order the old school.
For the first, oh, hundred times I ate at Zupas I ordered the California Turkey sandwich with Clam Chowder. I loooove clam chowder. But eventually I had to switch things up. I’ve not tried nearly all of their salads, and a few I created myself, as well as each and every soup on the menu. Since my husband always orders the clam chowder now, I feel like I can get something else and still steal a few bites of the chowder. I go back and forth between the Chicken Enchilada and the Wisconsin Cauliflower. The creaminess and cheesiness of the cauliflower soup is unbeatable. And I’ve gotta say, this recipe is crazy close to the real deal. It’s quick and easy to whip up on a busy weeknight so put it on your menu pronto, you’re gonna love it!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onions are tender. Add flour and stir until mixture clumps up.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Add broth, salt, and cauliflower. Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Transfer soup to a blender and pulse until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add cheeses and stir until melted and combined with soup. Serve with extra cheese if desired.