Thick and soft Almond Sugar Cookies piled high with rich almond cream cheese frosting.
It’s sugar cookie time y’all and I am more than a little bit happy about it. Because 1) seriously these almond sugar cookies are amayyyyyyyzing. The flavor. The texture. Give me 437 of them please. And because 2) I made another video for you!! And it’s perfect for these cookies because they have a specific technique to get that crinkly edge and even though I think I do a pretty good job of explaining that in the directions, the video does an even better job of it for you visual learners ya know?
Also, regarding the video, I’m just gonna apologize for the length. I tried so SO hard to get it below two minutes, I really did, but it just didn’t happen. I could have, but if I did get it to be below two minutes it would have skipped over something important! Sooooo yeah. Two minutes isn’t that long is it? Don’t worry most of my videos will be closer to one minute. But this one, it’s a bit longer. Sorry!
Anyway these cookies! Seriously so good. I absolutely love the texture and the flavor. Love love love. In fact I made them for my friend’s baby’s blessing luncheon and they were one hundred percent devoured (all 30+ of them) before I left and had several people ask for the recipe beaus they are that good.
What people are saying about these Almond Sugar Cookies
“Made these tonight. They are so delicious, soft and amazing. This is my new sugar cookie recipe. Thanks for the amazing recipe and your video was perfect. Keep the deliciousness coming!” – Ashley
Almond Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- optional: 1/3 cup shaved almonds (I used Diamond of California Shaved Almonds)
- In a large bowl cream together butter, vegetable oil, 1 1/2 cups sugar, powdered sugar, water, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. (dough should be crumbly and not sticky)
- Roll dough into balls (slightly larger than a golf ball) and place on a lightly greased baking sheet about 3-4 inches apart.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar on a plate. Use the bottom end of a tall glass cup (or the bottom of a small jar) for pressing the cookies. Spritz the bottom of the glass/jar with cooking spray then dip the bottom into the sugar. Press cookies to about 1/2 inch thickness. Let the edges of the cookie dough squish out past the edges of the glass.
- Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a clean flat surface or a cooking rack. When completely cool, place in airtight containers (if stacking, separate layers with parchment or wax paper) and keep chilled in the fridge.
- For the frosting, cream together butter, sour cream (or greek yogurt), and cream cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Store chilled in airtight container.
- Immediately before serving, frost cookies. Top with shaved almonds if desired.