Soft and fluffy snickerdoodle cookies stuffed with ooey gooey caramel.
Can I bother you with one more cookie recipe before Christmas? I’m sure you’ve got a slew of them up your sleeve waiting to be baked and shared with loved ones near and far but please, make a little room for one you will not want to miss. It involves cinnamon. And caramel. N’ough said.
Don’t let that caramely center fool you, these are not difficult. I know you’re thinking how do I get that goodness in there?? but it’s laughably easy.
1- roll your dough into a ball
2- break the ball into two halves
3- push a caramel into one half
4- roll the two halves back into one ball
5- roll in cinnamon-sugar and bake.
Besides all of that caramel in the center – which, by the way, makes me swoon – I love the texture of these cookies. Very chewy but still soft. And they get that signature snickerdoodle crinkle on top, just like a good snickerdoodles should.
Happy Thursday everyone, please treat yourself to a caramel stuffed snickerdoodle.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (12 tablespoons)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 small (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix (dry, not prepared) - must be instant
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16-20 soft caramels, unwrapped (such as Kraft)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until dough comes together. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll about 4 tablespoons of dough into a ball. Break the ball in half, place a caramel into the center of one half, then press the two halves back together to cover the caramel and roll into a ball again. Roll ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, then place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and caramels.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Store in airtight container. Serve at room temperature or heat the cookies in the microwave for 5-8 seconds before serving to make the caramel extra gooey.