This is an old classic one-pan dish you can whip up in less than 30 minutes. Simple ingredients with lots of flavor make this Chicken Stroganoff a go-to for busy weeknights.
Winner winner chicken dinner! Have you had chicken stroganoff? It’s been a classic in my family for ages. Growing up, my mom actually made beef stroganoff quite often. She’s an amazing cook so all of her food is really delicious but her stroganoff is definitely one of my favorites. I haven’t had it in years but I was craving it this week and decided to make my own version. Of course, this is a chicken stroganoff, but you can easily swap out the chicken for beef if you’re in the mood.
Apparently, stroganoff is usually served over egg noodles. Is that how you eat it? I didn’t realize that until I was developing this recipe because my mom always served stroganoff over rice. Weird? Is anyone out there a stroganoff on rice fan?? I am. So when I made this recipe, I made both rice and egg noodles. If you have a rice steamer it makes rice wayyy too easy to whip up. My husband bought me mine when we were dating and I was down at BYU for school. Back then I didn’t “cook” a lot but I sure had my fair share of an array of sauces over rice. Honestly that’s still my go-to when my husband is out of town and I don’t want to thaw any meat from the freezer.
The weather has been cooling off lately so this chicken stroganoff recipe couldn’t have come at a better time. It’s saucy comfort food at it’s best and I’ve just gotta say, the flavor can’t be beat. Plus it’s quick and easy! Told ya – winner winner chicken dinner!
- 12 ounces egg noodles (or 3-4 cups of cooked white rice)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red or white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3-4 chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- optional: additional sour cream, fresh parsley
- In a large pan or skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and mushrooms and sauté 2-3 minutes until onions are tender and clear. Add garlic and stir until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add chicken to pan and stir until chicken is browned (4-5 minutes). Stir in flour. Add chicken broth, sour cream, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve over noodles (or rice) and top with sour cream and parsley if desired.
Recipe adapted from Food Network