One of your favorite classic, comfort food dishes turned into a creamy, savory soup! This Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup is a must make all year round.
If you love hearty soup recipes like this Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup, you’ve gotta try my Best Ever Cheese Broccoli Soup, Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup, and Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala Soup.
Well, we’ve broken all our rules. The day after Halloween I made a trip to Target for diapers and came home with a whole set of new Christmas ornaments for the Christmas tree, a set of stocking hangers, and about seven different holiday themed games and crafts for the kiddos.
It’s pretty much all been downhill from there.
Last week I went rogue and let my Michael Buble Christmas playlist on Pandora set the mood while I made three variations of my favorite Christmas cookie, and this past weekend we broke our BIG rule and put up the Christmas tree.
You know what it is? It’s the kids. This is all their fault. They’ve turned me into a holiday monster! I can honestly say I haven’t been this excited for the holidays since I was a little girl.
Having little kids makes the holiday SO magical and I’m convinced that getting to be Santa Claus is just about the best thing ever.
All that said, I am also trying to find that balance of letting my children experience the mystery and excitement of Christmas while keeping our hearts in the right place, centered on the reason for the season. I feel like we can do both, if we make it a priority. And if you have tips on how to keep that balance in your home around the holidays, please share!
While we’ve been gearing up for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we’ve been getting some really chilly weather in the past couple of weeks and soup has become a regular on the menu. I made a batch of this Beef Stroganoff Soup last week and I’ve been craving it ever since the last bowl vanished.
I even took some over to my Dad who lives pretty close to us, not really sure how he would respond to a soup version of an old classic my Mother has been fixing for years… He completely loved it!
I’d dropped off a couple of other dishes along with the soup and he said he sampled them all and was – and I quote – “particularly enamored with the stroganoff soup!” Because my dad is awesome and talks like that in real life.
Should I make this in the Instant Pot or a Slow Cooker?
I’ve included instructions for making this easy Beef Stroganoff Soup in either the Instant Pot or the Slow Cooker. Both methods work great, it really just depends on your personal preference and whether you have an Instant Pot or not.
Side note: If you haven’t made the leap to getting and Instant Pot yet (*and this is not sponsored in any way!!!*) you have got to get one. You may not know this but the Instant Pot has a setting for slow cooking so it really is an all-in-one. BAM. Let whoever drew your name for Christmas know, this is what you need.
What cut of beef should I use?
My favorite meat to use for this Beef Stroganoff Soup is stew meat, because it gets so juicy and fall-apart tender in the Instant Pot on the pressure cooker setting (only takes an hour!) or after slow cooking in the crockpot all day. It’s also really budget friendly and makes this meal super affordable. Win win!
What type of noodles should I use?
Any short noodle works great! Egg noodles are really common with traditional stroganoff and taste great in this soup, my favorite though are twirly noodles as I like to call them, or Callentani. You could also use penne, ronini, or macaroni elbows!
Can I cook the noodles in the Instant Pot/Slow Cooker?
Technically, yes, you can cook them right in the Instant Pot/Slow Cooker. Personally, I prefer to cook my noodles separately for two reasons. 1) You need to add extra liquid to the recipe to account for the liquid that is absorbed by the noodles while cooking. My issue with this is that the excess dilutes the soup and makes it less flavorful. 2) It gets tricky with short noodles like these to know exactly how much cooking time they need, while making sure they don’t overcook. The whole point of a crockpot recipe in my opinion is to not have to keep a close eye on it the whole time, and to say hey this can cook for 6ish or 7ish hours. If you’ve got noodles in there though, that extra half hour or whatnot can turn your noodles to mush.
What people are saying about this Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup
“I have only used my instant pot a couple of times. Was looking for a good soup recipe (while I was at the grocery store… haha) and found this one. We loved it! I took leftovers for lunch, and have already shared your recipe with my friends. Thanks a bunch!” – Dianna
“JUST FOUND YOUR WEBSITE AND MADE THIS SOUP TONIGHT. OH MY GOODNESS, IT WAS DELICIOUS!! THANKS FOR SHARING!” – Jan
“DELICIOUS and So easy. I used Ground beef because i had it On hand, but look forward to trying it with the stew meat. EVERYONE loved It INCLUDING my Very selective 4 year-old.” – E. Horton
“Made this tonight and was deeelightful!” – Kim
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup
- 1.5 pounds stew meat
- 6 cups beef broth (I use lower sodium)
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (I use about 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup sliced mushrooms)
- 8 ounces short noodles, cooked (egg noodles, rotini, and cellentani work great)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup corn starch
Instant Pot Instructions
- In your instant pot, combine stew meat, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Place lid on the instant pot, make sure the vent nozzle is in the non-venting position, press "pressure cook" and set timer to 1 hour.
- Move venting nozzle to the vent position and allow to vent until the button drops down. Remove lid, and switch Instant Pot to "soup" mode. Stir together sour cream and 1 cup of broth from the Instant Pot until smooth. Stir mixture back into the pot along with the mushrooms. Whisk together cold water and corn starch in a bowl.
- Once soup is boiling, whisk corn starch mixture into the Instant Pot until soup thickens. Stir in noodles. Taste, add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Garnish with cracked black pepper, fresh thyme or parsley, and grated parmesan cheese and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In your slow cooker, combine stew meat, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on high 3 hours, or low 6 hours.
- Stir together sour cream and 1 cup of broth from the slow cooker until smooth. Stir mixture back into the pot along with the mushrooms. Whisk together cold water and corn starch in a bowl, then stir into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour longer. Taste, add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Garnish with cracked black pepper, fresh thyme or parsley, and grated parmesan cheese and serve.