Chocolate Pumpkin Zucchini Cake – This incredible cake is basically pumpkin-chocolate heaven, and you’d never know there was ZUCCHINI in there!!
I was totally a zucchini-dessert skeptic before I made this cake. Even though I’d been given a “zucchini brownie” from time to time and truthfully enjoyed it, I’m not sure I ever really believed that there was zucchini in those things. But this dessert, completely converted me. I am a believer. A believer in absolutely delicious zucchini-laden sweet treats.
You see how that frosting is sliding off the side of the cake piece? That’s the embodiment of impatience. Yep, that right there. It’s called I already snuck a bite of this cake and it was so good that I couldn’t wait for the cake to cool before I frosted, sliced, and photographed it so that I could have more.
Usually my photography takes top priority people so this cake must be GOOD if I was willing to post only two so-so photographs for the sake of getting it in my mouth sooner.
So chocolatey, so moist, so rich, so delicious….. make it. Make it for a holiday party. Make it for the next football game. Make it because it’s Thursday.
Just make it.
If you like this pumpkin zucchini cake, you’ll love my Pumpkin Cheesecake Stuffed Pumpkins, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cinnamon-sugar Glazed Pumpkin Donut Holes, Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies, Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Soft Pretzels, Pumpkin Sugar Cookies, and Pumpkin Swirl Brownies.
Chocolate Pumpkin Zucchini Cake
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup grated zucchini - patted dry
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 or 7x11 inch pan, set aside.
- Mix together sugar, oil, flours, and baking soda. Stir in cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. Add pumpkin, zucchini, and pumpkin pie spice and mix well. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool.
- For the frosting, cream powdered sugar, cream cheese, and melted butter. Stir in vanilla. Spread over cooled cake. Allow to set. Store in airtight container.
do you have to use wheat flour? Sounds wonderful just itching to try it.
I’ve only tried it with the wheat flour but I’m sure you could try all purpose flour and have a DELICIOUS cake on your hands!!
Hi just wanted to say I made this tonight and it’s delicious! I always grow zucchini and look for different recipes to use it in. I am happy I gave this a try and so is my family.
Thank you for this recipe. Im always on the hunt for veggies hidden in yummy food. I made these and yummy!! I used 1 cup coconut sugar and 1 banana in place of the sugar, and all wheat flour. I also added a handful of spinach to the zucchiNi in the food processor.
Wow- way to go, Hannah! Sounds like it turned out wonderful with lots of hidden, yummy veggies! Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Did i read this correctly? Are there no eggs in this cake?
alsowondering about the eggs???? will make it after I hear about the eggs!! Thanks!!!Mary