This Cole Slaw with Amazing Cole Slaw Dressing is the crunchiest, tastiest, and most perfect side salad or topping for all your barbecue, tacos, sandwiches, and everything in between!
Looking for more amazingly easy toppings? Try my recipes for 5-Minute Fish Taco Sauce, Fire Roasted Salsa, and the Best Tzatziki Sauce.
Do you know what is an unexpectedly handy side to know how to make come picnic season? Cole slaw! Growing up, I only ever had it served on top of pulled pork or beef barbecue sandwiches.
But it turns out you can make cole slaw with dressing as a side all by itself, put it on top of everything barbecued, add it to the top of a taco, or even as a topper for grilled chicken or fish. It’s so versatile, you’ll make this cole slaw with amazing cole slaw dressing once and wonder where it’s been all your life.
Why This Recipe Works
Easy – You don’t even have to shred your own cabbage or carrots; you can buy it all prepackaged at the store! Just open, toss in a bowl, and add the cole slaw dressing.
Fast – 10 minutes. TEN. That’s it. I like to keep shredded cabbage and carrots on hand for those emergency side situations. Got 10 minutes? Then you have an amazing side for dinners or potlucks.
Crunchy and tasty – I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of all foods crunchy. I’m not sure why but I’m just a sucker for the crunch of this tasty cole slaw on all the things – it just truly makes everything better!
Healthy – So while I love crunchy foods, a lot of them are not healthy (ahem, chips, cookies, chips). But this cabbage-based slaw uses very little mayo for its creaminess and then just a hint of honey, Dijon, and rice vinegar as the main ingredients for a tasty dish that also packs a nutritious punch.
Here’s How You Make It
The easiest cole slaw with dressing is just 10 minutes away!
- First, toss together the shredded cabbage and carrots in a bowl.
- Next, whisk together the dressing ingredients: mayo, honey, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard.
- Pour the mixed dressing over the cole slaw mixture and toss to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat it.
What’s the Best Way to Shred Cabbage?
If you want to shred your cabbage by hand, there are a few ways to go about doing it.
- You can use a food processor to shred up wedges of cabbage, one at a time (make sure your food processor has the right blade for this task). Make sure to remove the stem and outer leaves before cutting into wedges and shredding.
- Cut by hand by first removing the outer layers of cabbage that may be browning or wilting. Next, cut it in half through the stem. Cut the halves into half again. Now you have four quarters. Remove all the stems by cutting at a diagonal. Finally, turn the cabbage to cut on the short side into very thin slices.
What is the Best Substitute for Mayonnaise in Cole Slaw?
Don’t like mayo? No problem. Substitutes for mayo include skipping it all together (or add a quarter cup of olive oil instead). I’ve also used plain Greek yogurt as a substitute with great results.
- Leave the mayo out if you like and swap for another dressing (see more on that above).
- Substitute another mustard for the Dijon. Or, if you don’t like mustard, you can use Worcestershire sauce, or even wasabi if you like a little kick.
- Want some crunch on top of your crunch? I like to add a tablespoon or two of sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, or even finely chopped peanuts to my slaw.
- Mix up your slaw veggies by using another “slaw” variety. You could try broccoli slaw, or even shredded Brussels sprouts in your mixture. Add finely slivered green onions for a bit of oniony bite.
- When I use this cole slaw for Mexican food (on tacos or such) I sometimes like to leave out the Dijon and swap it for a tablespoon of fresh-squeezed lime juice and handful of chopped cilantro.
- This cole slaw with cole slaw dressing will last up to 5 days, covered, in the fridge. I do not recommend freezing it.
- You can also make the dressing ahead of time, up to 3 days. Then, when you’re ready to serve, toss the cabbage and carrots together, then shake up the dressing to mix, pour it on, and serve. This method works great for picnics or potlucks where you want the cole slaw to be served as crunchy and fresh as possible.
More Amazing Dishes You’ll Love
- Best Simple Guacamole Recipe
- Grilled Steak with Tiger Sauce
- Fish Tacos with Slaw
- Fish Tacos Sauce
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- The BEST Guacamole Recipe of All time
Did you make this super easy and delicious cole slaw recipe? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
Cole Slaw with Amazing Cole Slaw Dressing
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
Cole Slaw Dressing
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss together shredded cabbage and carrots.
- Whisk together cole slaw dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over cole slaw, toss to combine. Taste, add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!