Crispy taco-style wonton shells loaded with sweet and spicy firecracker shrimp, sweet mango, crunchy slaw, and cilantro! A quick and easy appetizer for those who love it sweet and spicy!
There are good recipes. There are great recipes. And then there are those recipes you instantly know you’re going to make again and again and again. The ones you want to share with everybody you know and make you want to invite company over just so you can impress them with something so delicious.
I bet you can guess what kind of recipe this one is.
I had this idea – firecracker shrimp – sounded yummy, had to make it. But the more I thought about it, the more I though you know, this firecracker shrimp thing would be really good in a taco. Actually let’s make the tacos mini and call it an appetizer. And then suddenly it hit me – Firecracker Shrimp Wonton Tacos for New Years!
Because firecrackers….. new years….. ya know?
Speaking of holidays though, I kind of feel like I got to celebrate Christmas twice this year because a couple of weeks ago a gorgeous new set of Calphalon knives showed up on my doorstep and I. am. in. love. (<—heart eyed emoji x10) I’ve been using the set we were given for our wedding for the past four years and I am not kidding you when I say that using these new knives was a little bit like one of those hollywood moments where concourses of angels start singing hallelujah because these knives are MAGICAL. I’m like, man, all this time I could’ve saved myself a few hundred episodes of climbing onto the kitchen counter to put my full body weight into chopping a few veggies! Seriously. If you need a new set of knives you might want to consider the Calphalon Contemporary Self-Sharpening 15-pc Cutlery Set with SharpIN Technology – they sharpen themselves when you slide them in and out of the knife block!
These tacos would be great, phenomenal even, with just the shrimp. Heck, I could eat the shrimp straight up. But when you put that sweet and spicy shrimp in a crispy wonton and add some juicy mango to the mix, it’s pure heaven.
And that’s pretty much all there is to these gorgeous little things! The only other ingredients are slaw, and cilantro. That’s it! Seriously these take less than 30 minutes to make and are SO so yummy. This really is the kind of deliciousness you will crave in your life on a regular basis.
- 12 wonton skins (see note)
- 1 pound large peeled, deveined shrimp
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce (see note)
- 1 mango, diced
- 2 cups slaw (without dressing) OR red and/or green cabbage, chopped
- handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Wash and remove tails from your shrimp. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the taco shells, you will need a 9x13 inch baking pan with a thin rim and some cooking spray or olive oil. Lay the wonton skins over the sides of the baking pan in a single layer (do not overlap) on a diagonal. Spray lightly with cooking spray (or brush lightly with a bit of olive oil) and bake for 3-4 minutes just until the edges begin to brown (you don't want them too crispy or they will break when you make the tacos). Immediately after removing from oven, take the wontons off of the 9x13 pan and open them slightly to make taco "shells".
- In a large pan over medium heat, combine the shrimp and the sweet chili sauce and stir over medium heat for 6-8 minutes until pink and hot. Remove from heat.
- Fill each wonton taco shell with some slaw, shrimp, and diced mango. Top with chopped cilantro and serve.
Sweet chili sauce can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores. You can also make your own if you prefer!
Recipe makes 12 small tacos to be served as appetizer for 6 (2 each) or main dish for 2 or 3 people.
This yummy shrimp taco recipe was sponsored by my friends at Shrimp Council and the knives mentioned were provided by Calphalon but I was not compensated to write a review and all opinions are 100% my own – thanks for letting me work with the brands I love!!3