Cheesy and spicy Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup made in 30 minutes or less – creamy comfort food with a kick!
Daylight savings started today. Do you live in a town with daylight savings? We call it “Fall Back” and “Spring Forward” – or at least that is how I’ve always remembered which way to adjust the clocks. But truth be told, I can’t stand daylight savings. Can we all just agree to do away with the whole thing?? My husband commutes to work so he jokes that he leaves when it is dark and comes home when it’s dark so he never sees the light of day. The only good thing about Fall daylight savings is that for one night you get an extra hour of sleep, like a little gift from the universe. It’s a good thing time isn’t a commodity on the market cause I would go broke buying extra hours of sleep. The problem is that when Spring daylight savings rolls around, just the opposite occurs. The universe steals away an hour of precious sleep. It’s pure evil.
My husband is one of those long sleepers. If he doesn’t get his full 8-9 hours each night, woah, grumpy town. Me, I’m somewhere in the middle and can operate on about 6 hours of sleep for a couple of weeks at a time and then suddenly I get super tired and either fall asleep at 9 one night, or for a couple of days my world revolves around cat naps. And then there is my mother who has been getting 4-5 hours of sleep every night for the past 30 years and still runs around like a chicken with her head cut off.
She’s nuts but man is she productive, I’d kill to get that much done in a day.
Along with the shorter days, we’re also getting some pretty chilly weather right now. A storm passed through this weekend and it really put me in the mood for a creamy soup. My husband and I both loved this jalapeño popper chicken soup. It’s creamy, cheesy, and it’s got a little kick from the jalapeños. I prefer canned or jarred jalapeños (pickled jalapeños) in this recipe because it cuts out a bit of the heat and they are usually more tender than fresh jalapeños so you don’t have to cook the soup as long. The end product is amazingly flavorful and hearty and perfect for cold weather but I can already see myself craving this all year round!
What people are saying about this Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
“This is sooooo good. Can’t wait to make it again tonight. It was the first meal I made in our new home, so it will always be special to me. Thanks for sharing!” – Nicole
“I added my own twist to this and started putting noodles in it. It goes from soup to like a jalapeño mac and cheese that is super easy to get even my two year old to eat!” – Brandi
“Tried it, it WAS easy. It WAS delicious, and now I have to make more! Thanks for a great recipe, just printed out the Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef to try next!” – Debra
“Just made this after getting home from work. 30 minutes later…. bomb soup!!!!!” – Robin
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (I use half & half, you could also use heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup jalapeno juice (from a jar of jalapeños)
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (rotisserie chicken works, or two chicken breasts cooked and shredded)
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced jalapeños (I prefer jarred/canned jalapeños in this recipe)
- optional:crispy tortilla strips or crumbled tortilla chips
- In a large pan/pot (big enough for a batch of soup) melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and onion powder and saute 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until mixture comes together.
- Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add chicken broth, jalapeño juice, chicken, salt, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and jalapeños. Stir until cheeses are completely melted. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste as needed. Serve with crispy tortilla strips if desired. Enjoy!