Easy 20 minute Monterey Chicken Sandwiches with seasoned chicken, bbq sauce, melty jack cheese, bacon, and all the fixin’s!
I don’t know what has gotten into me lately but I have been all about the sandwiches. And burgers. And wraps. Basically anything that involves a bunch of really yummy fillings (generally consisting of protein + veggies + sauces) piled between carbs.
Today it’s a monterey chicken sandwich involving seasoned grilled chicken, melty jack cheeses, bacon, tomato-lettuce-onion, all smothered in barbecue sauce. It’s kind of the most amazing sandwich ever. And wayyyyy to easy to fix. We’re talking 20 minutes and it’s in your mouth. Ya can’t beat that with a stick.
Just look at it! Don’t you just want to sink your teeth into that sandwich?? Feel free to swap out the tomato-lettuce-onion deal for any of your favorite toppings. But do not skip out on the barbecue sauce, that’s the “glue” holding all of these really delicious flavors together here. You won’t believe how addictive that flavor combination is with the bacon and melty cheese!
What people are saying about these Monterey Chicken Sandwiches
“Made these sandwiches tonight and they were really good! I love how fast the chicken is since I don’t have to marinate it ahead of time. I put the BBQ sauce on the chicken while it was grilling instead of putting it on the bun and served on gluten free rolls. We’ll be making these all summer long!” – Sharon
Monterey Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 hamburger buns or soft sandwich rolls
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 slices colby jack cheese (OR 4 slices mild cheddar cheese and 4 slices mozzarella cheese)
- 4-8 slices bacon, cooked to preferred crispiness
- toppings of choice such as mayo, tomato, red onion, and romaine lettuce
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Grill or cook in a skillet on the stove over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- When chicken is fully cooked, place cheese on top of chicken and allow to melt.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading about 1/4 cup bbq sauce on each bun bottom half, then topping with chicken and cheese, bacon, remanning toppings, and bun top half. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Tide & Thyme