This Best Healthy Chicken Salad Sandwich is so packed with so much flavor you would never guess it’s actually healthy! Packed with healthy fats from avocado and greek yogurt along with the perfect seasonings make this chicken salad recipe the BEST!
If you loved this, you’ll want to try my Greek Avocado Chicken Salad, Chicken Salad with Grapes, and Thai Chicken Salad.
Why This Recipe Works
Healthy & Satisfying: Who doesn’t love a good sandwich? I know I do. So I went on a quest to make the absolute perfect chicken salad sandwich. This version is healthy because we will replace some of that mayo with greek yogurt for a creamy, tangy flavor. Plus, with the added avocado it is packed with healthy fats and will keep you full and satisfied!
Easy to Make: This sandwich really is easy to make. For ease, you can use a rotisserie chicken for your chicken here, or you can cook up some chicken using your preferred method and dice it into bite sized pieces. After the chicken is figured out, you just have to mix all of the ingredients together! This is the perfect lunch for the whole family, and even your picky eaters will love this sandwich!
So Yummy: I have always been a huge fan of chicken salad, but this best healthy chicken salad sandwich is a little bit different without any grapes or nuts. I use savory seasonings, crunchy green onion and celery, and all my favorite sauces like dijon mustard, mayo and greek yogurt for the most yummy chicken salad sandwich ever!
This healthy chicken salad sandwich uses whole, healthy ingredients that are easy to find. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken: I used cooked, diced chicken breast. You can dice up raw chicken and cook it up, or you can even boil your chicken here. To make it super easy, shred up some rotisserie chicken!
- Avocados: Ripe avocados add a bunch of flavor and healthy fats!
- Celery & Green Onion: For texture and flavor, I added celery and green onion. Green onions are mild enough that the onion flavor doesn’t overwhelm. If you don’t like celery, you can omit it.
- Seasonings: Garlic Powder, Seasoning Salt, & a bit of Sugar are added for a perfectly seasoned chicken salad.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon adds a bite of spice as well as added flavor.
- Reduced-Fat Mayo: I use a bit of reduced-fat mayo to get the perfect texture.
- Greek Yogurt: Fat-free plain greek yogurt adds a creamy texture and the perfect amount of tangy flavor.
- Hoagie Rolls or Pita Pockets: I like to serve this healthy chicken salad on a hoagie roll or in a pita pocket! You can serve it on your favorite bread, as well.
Here’s How to Make It
Step by Step Instructions
- Make the Dressing: Add garlic powder, seasoning salt, sugar, dijon mustard, mayo and greek yogurt to a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Mix it all Together: Add chicken, avocados, celery, and onions and stir to coat well. Spread the mixture onto hoagie rolls or stuff into pita pockets. Add additional toppings such as lettuce and tomatoes, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Add more veg! If you want, you can add more veggies in this salad like diced cucumber and tomatoes. Or, serve this healthy chicken salad over a bed of greens!
- Make this salad your own. If you love grapes in chicken salad, go ahead and add the grapes! Instead of walnuts or pecans, try adding some slivered almonds for a bit of crunch and nuttiness. Check out my Chicken Salad with Grapes recipe if you prefer grapes in your chicken salad!
- Use up leftover chicken! This recipe is perfect for when you have some leftover roast chicken in the fridge. Just dice it or shred it and you are good to go!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make chicken salad ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 2 days. However, do not add the avocado until you are ready to serve! The avocado will become oxidized and turn brown in the fridge before you are ready to eat it. Simply cut up the avocado when you are ready to serve the chicken salad sandwiches and put the avocado on top of the mixture.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Since this chicken salad sandwich has some mayo in it, it doesn’t last a long time, so it is best to eat it fresh! If you have avocado in the leftovers, eat them by the next day if possible.
More Healthy Recipes to Try
- Greek Avocado Chicken Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Honey Mustard Chicken Cobb Salad
- Cranberry Pecan Turkey Salad
Did you make this chicken salad recipe? FANTASTIC. Please rate the recipe below and be sure to tag me on social when you share a photo – I love seeing your CDLC creations!
Best Healthy Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cooked and diced
- 2 avocados - diced
- ¼ cup celery - chopped
- 2 green onion - chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons reduced fat mayo
- 1 ½ tablespoons fat free plain greek yogurt
- 4 hoagie rolls - or pita pockets
- optional: lettuce and tomatoes
- Add garlic powder, seasoning salt, sugar, dijon mustard, mayo, and greek yogurt to a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken, avocados, celery, and onions and stir to coat well. Spread mixture onto hoagie rolls or stuff into pita pockets. Add additional toppings such as lettuce and tomatoes. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.*
This is so yummy and flavorful! We loved everything about it and I will definitely make it again!
What did you use to season your chicken when you cooked it? And how did you cook it? Sauté, bake? Thanks
I Made this for The family and it was a great hit. I sauteed the CHICKen after adding salt pepper and poultry seasoning. It tasted like roasted chicken.
Question my kids And husband want THis for their lunch. Does anyone know if I add lemon to the dish if it would hold the AVOCADOs? This took me an hour to get down which would MEAN not enough time. I think mixing the avocados in the mixture made a big difference in making the dish so creamy that i think adding it last would have a different result.
Yeah for sure! Some fresh lemon juice would help the avocados stay green. Be sure to wrap the sandwich tightly with plastic wrap before putting in a plastic bag. Or you could even put the salad in a container by itself not on the bread! Let them assemble themselves so it’s definitely fresh! I am super excited that you and your family loved this recipe!! Thanks for your feedback, Jess!