Peppermint Cheesecake Swirl Brownies – Dense and rich chocolate brownies swirled with a delicious peppermint cheesecake batter!
I just love swirled things. When I was little I remember feeling so unique because all of my friends would draw hearts or stars or flowers on all of their papers but I always did swirly designs. I guess you could say it was my favorite shape. Do people have favorite shapes?
Oh boy. I just imagined an incredibly awkward younger me on a blind date trying to fill the silence. “So…. what’s your favorite shape? Mine’s a swirl. But I really like triangles too.” Please say I never did that. I can’t be too sure, I sort of have a habit of saying really awkward things. And blind dates were definitely not my thing. Heck, regular visible dates were not my thing.
I probably did say that. I hope my date was distracted by the waitress and didn’t hear. Please.
Now this is not a Christmas recipe per se… but it is sort of seasonal. I usually don’t eat a whole lot of pepperminty things through the year, except when the holidays are in full swing. But I have to say, I’ve been waiting alllll year for those really amazing peppermint swirled (ha!) hershey kisses to come back. The white and red ones with the silver wrapping? I discovered them last year around Christmas time and I’ve been craving them for 11 months. I’m stocking up this year and will be eating them in July.
Speaking of swirly pepperminty things, I should probably mention these bars I made. Gooey and riiiich and so yummy. I recommend a fork, they are a little sticky. But if you’re home alone and not on a very awkward date asking the other person what their favorite shape is, ditch the fork and lick every last one of your chocolate sticky fingers. No one will be there to judge. And even if they are, they will completely understand if they try a bite. That is, if you’re willing to share!
Peppermint Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg - + 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup heavy cream - OR half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8x8 inch pan with foil and spray well with cooking spray.
- Prepare cheesecake batter. Use a hand mixer to cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add sugar and peppermint and mix well. Add egg and egg white and mix. Stir in flour. Set batter aside.
- Prepare brownie batter. Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt to a bowl and whisk to combine. In another large bowl combine brown sugar, oil, heavy cream or half and half, vanilla, and eggs and mix until smooth. Slowly mix in flour mixture until completely combined.
- Pour all but 1/2 cup of brownie batter into prepared pan. Spread cheesecake layer evenly on top of brownie layer. Drop tablespoons of reserved brownie batter on top of cheesecake layer. Use a knife to swirl batter. Bake about 25 minutes, until top is set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Store in airtight container, keep refrigerated.