Soft, melt in your mouth salted caramel chocolate thumbprint cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and salty for caramel and chocolate lovers.
If your Santa likes chocolate and caramel, particularly salted caramel, these are the cookies you really should be leaving out this weekend.
When I was in high school I became obsessed with eating buttered popcorn and mini charleston chews at the same time. Each was good by itself but together, heaven in my mouth. My love for sweet n’ salty things has grown even deeper over the years and a cookie that involves salted caramel and fudgy, chewy chocolate is my bread and butter if you know what I mean.
This my favorite chocolate thumbprint cookie base with soft and chewy caramel filling, topped with a little sprinkle of sea salt and let me tell you, it is magical.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) + 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup caramels
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream (may sub milk in a pinch)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Mix in cocoa powder and milk.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Roll dough into small balls (about 1½-2 inches wide) and place on prepared baking sheet. Use your thumb to press down in the centers of the balls to make an indent.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until cookies look dry and start to crack a bit around the top. (I prefer to undercook mine a little bit so they stay very soft and chewy) Gently press down the centers again. Allow to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine caramels and heavy cream. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir, and return to microwave for 20 second increments mixing after each until smooth.
- Spoon caramel into the center of each cookie. Sprinkle sea salt over the top. Allow to cool slightly before serving or store in airtight container at room temperature up to 3-4 days.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum.
If you like these Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies, you’ll love…